When you think of foodie travel destinations, certain cities probably spring to mind – Paris, London, New York, Tokyo – but one city that most people don’t consider is the Colombian capital city of Bogotá. However, Bogotá’s food scene is undergoing a renaissance at the moment, and it may just be the next great culinary destination.
Recently, The Independent declared that Bogotá was ‘the best place for a foodie to visit,’ in an article that may have come as a shock to people who think that Colombian cuisine consists of nothing more than arepas and empanadas! There’s a lot more going on in the Colombian capital’s food scene than many people realise, and The Independent was right on the money in declaring Bogotá to be one of the planet’s hottest foodie spots right now.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bogotá also recently hosted the fifth edition of the Latin America’s Best Restaurant awards ceremony, a clear stamp of approval for the foodie ambitions of this often overlooked city. What’s more, several Bogotá restaurants and chefs were recognised on the night: both Harry Sasson and Leo made the top 20 for best Latin American restaurants, and Villanos en Bermudas was also in the Top 50.
Leo is particularly worth singling out. Owned and operated by Leo Espinosa, winner of the Best Female Chef in Latin America and the Basque Culinary World Prize, the restaurant is a hub of culinary innovation, drawing on unique Colombian ingredients including caiman, leafcutter ants and unique jungle fruits, and elevating them to a whole new level of flavour and class. Leo’s 12-course tasting menu is pricey by Colombian standards, but at less than US$50, for international foodies, it’s a steal.
Criterion and its chef Jorge Rausch should also have foodies everywhere licking their lips in anticipation. As the flagship restaurant of the famous Rausch Brothers, it’s a French-influenced restaurant serving some of the finest quality gourmet food anywhere in Latin America. The Rausch brothers have been at the forefront of Bogotá’s culinary revival over the past few years, and are celebrities in their home country (Jorge Rausch was even a judge on Colombian Masterchef).
For anyone without the budget to dine at such standout restaurants, there are many excellent alternatives serving delicious dishes at more affordable prices. Highlights from this long list include Abasto, Misia (another Leo Espinosa restaurant), Andres Carne de Res and El Chato. There are also some excellent restaurants such as El Cielo, which operates a foundation where former soldiers and guerrillas train together as chefs and then work side by side. Bogotá’s food scene is not only an exciting new alternative for world-travelling foodies; it is also doing something positive for the Colombian community.
While it may be some time before Bogotá challenges the likes of Paris, London, New York and Tokyo in the global culinary sphere, the Colombian capital is certainly a city on the rise when it comes to food and top-quality restaurants. As the city, and the country as a whole, emerge from the shadows of a bloody, decades-long civil war, there are high hopes that it can finally take its place alongside other great global cities and show the world what it has to offer. And, as newspapers such as The Independent and The Guardian are starting to realise, one of those things is world-class food.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.