The Colombian capital is a vast, noisy, and intense city, but Bogota has a lot more to offer than initially meets the eye, and not just for solo travellers. There are loads of excellent family-friendly activities on offer in the city, and they are sure to keep even the most difficult children entertained. Here is Culture Trip’s list of the very best adventures that families will love.
The ultimate in family fun in Bogota – every Sunday vast swathes of the city’s road network are closed to make way for cyclists, dog-walkers, joggers, and pedestrians. Street vendors set up along the pavement in the centre, selling everything from fresh juices and local snacks to toys and souvenirs. Rent some bikes or roller skates and take a family bike ride through Bogota, stopping along the way to sample traditional foods and do some shopping at local markets.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Septima Challenge
A great way to enjoy the Sunday ciclovia is the Septima Challenge, a fun scavenger hunt modelled on The Amazing Race, run by local tour operators Bogota & Beyond. Participants break up into teams – so the whole family can enjoy it together – and receive a list of fun tasks to carry out on the ciclovia, such as dancing salsa with locals, finding a dog wearing a Colombian football kit, or getting involved in traditional street activities (or a combination of a few of them if the photo below is anything to go by). It’s a great way to have some interactive fun and to really get involved with locals and the Colombian culture. Kids will have fun and maybe even practice some Spanish at the same time!
Simon Bolivar Park
The perfect spot for the outdoors-loving family, Bogota’s largest park is an excellent place to escape to for a sunny day away from the traffic and noise of the centre. With almost 113 hectares of space, including running trails, cycle lanes, playgrounds, and several lakes, the park will keep children entertained for hours: pack a picnic, play some sports, enjoy the climbing frames and sandpits, then rent a rowing boat and head out onto the lake – great family fun!
This huge family-oriented amusement park sits just to the north of Bogota and would make a fantastic family day trip from the city. With giant replicas of famous buildings such as the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids, and The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, as well as a large zoo and aviary, and rides, including go-karts and dodgems, Jaime Duque might not be the most cultural or traditional of day trips, but it’s bound to appeal to children and families.
A miniature city specially built for kids in the Santa Fe shopping mall, Divercity is the perfect place to visit with children aged between three and 13. With over 50 different attractions – where kids can pretend that they are firefighters, police, doctors, and vets – as well as climbing walls, ball pits, and play areas, this adventure will keep kids entertained for hours. And safety isn’t a concern either: each child receives a bracelet to ‘check in’ at each attraction, and the parents can see where their kids are based on these check-ins.
Divercity, Local 2-01, Cl. 185 #45-03, Bogota, Colombia, +57 1 6015100
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.