Cycling is taking Colombia by storm. Every day, the roads and the cycling routes in the cities are filled with avid cyclists commuting to work. The roads are thick with bikes at the weekends, too, as Colombia’s beautiful landscapes make for picturesque, scenic and challenging routes. Many Colombians are enthusiastic cyclists and enjoy being outside, and many wake up early to enjoy a day filled with cycling either in a group or alone. Colombia has a large number of well-known cycling routes : from short routes to week-long trips, it’s definitely a great way to see the country.
Patios is a 4.9-mile (7.8-kilometre) stretch of road that begins in the east of Bogotá and heads up and over the city’s eastern mountains. This steep mountain road is a popular cycling route for individuals who want to test their uphill endurance: it climbs from 2,591 meters (8,500 feet) to the top of the mountain, 3014 meters (9,888 feet) above sea level. The route is popular with locals who want a challenge and with those who are training for uphill events. The route is busiest at weekends, especially on Sundays. The route boasts picturesque views of the city and has a number of food stops along the way.
Patios can be a challenging short trip, or the start of this longer ride. Bogotá to La Calera is a 9.3-mile (15-kilometre) mountainous stretch beginning at the start of Patios and proceeding uphill to the top of the mountain and down the other side.
Ciclovía is a popular cycling event that takes place all over Colombia every Sunday, and on holidays, from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. Many major towns and cities including Bogotá, Cali and Medellin close a large number of roads to allow people to cycle, run or walk without worrying about traffic. Other events take place, too, such as yoga in parks, and markets. In Bogotá, Plaza Bolivar is a popular place to cycle to and enjoy street food and market stalls. You can also visit the Usaquen market for shopping and delicious food.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Chicamocha Canyon to Jordán is a 38-mile (61-kilometre) route in Santander close to Bucaramanga. This moderate to challenging route starts at an elevation of 6,627 feet (2,020 meters) above sea level and passes by beautiful picturesque colonial villages, natural wonders and small coffee farms. It’s a downhill route, but can be challenging because of the area’s hot climate and unpaved roads.
Alto de Las Palmas
Alto de Las Palmas is an uphill 9.2-mile (14.75-kilometre) route that heads from Medellín up and over one of the surrounding mountains. It’s popular on weekends, especially Sundays, as an extension to the city’s Ciclovía routes.
Alto de Letras is one of the world’s longest and most challenging mountain passes, and the hardest route in Colombia. It’s often included in many of Colombia’s National and International cycling events. The route begins in a small town called Mariquita (at 1,535 feet or 468 meters), close to Manizales, and ends at the Paramo de Tetras (at 12017 feet or 3,663 meters). This 50-mile (80-kilometre) uphill route is challenging, but has a small number of downhill sections that are made more complicated by the change in climate: at the start of the route the temperature can range from 20 to 30° C and at the end, from 5 to 10° C. The route passes through some beautiful landscapes and colonial villages, but it is only suitable for advanced cyclists.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.