Considered by many to be the most beautiful town in Colombia, Barichara is a great place to spend a day simply walking its cobbled streets and admiring the perfectly preserved architecture. However, there are a few things you shouldn’t leave without experiencing. From stunning lookout points to a delicious local meal, here’s how to spend 24 hours in Barichara if you really want to get a feel for the town’s beauty, character and culture.
Check out Barichara’s stunning churches
For every street in Barichara, there’s a beautiful colonial church, chapel or cathedral just waiting to be explored. Take a step back in time and discover some of the most historic churches in the region, many of them over 200 years old. You shouldn’t miss the Iglesia Jesús Resucitado, the Capilla San Antonio, the Capilla Santa Barbara or the Catedral de la Inmaculada Concepcion.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take in the view at the Mirador
Located high atop a deep, lush canyon that overlooks the River Suarez, Barichara is surrounded by stunning views. And the best place to admire those vistas? From the town’s lookout point. The Mirador, a small canopied observation deck located right on the edge of town, offers spectacular views over the surrounding mountains and the raging river below.
Admire the stonework at the Cementerio de Barichara
Just like Barichara’s churches, the cemeteries here have been lovingly conserved and decorated over centuries. The Cementerio de Barichara, with its elaborately carved tombstones, iron crosses and brightly coloured flowers, is one of the most striking cemeteries in the region. In addition to the beautiful tombstones, make sure you keep an eye out for the impressive stone sculptures scattered across the cemetery; these have all been hand-carved by talented local stone sculptors.
Visit a local workshop
Due to its tranquillity, stunning surroundings and easygoing lifestyle, Barichara has become a hub for local artists and artisans. The result? Streets dotted with independent galleries, workshops and craft stores, many of which welcome visitors to not only see the artists at work, but also to get hands on. Choose from fique papermaking, pottery, furniture making, felting or fique bag weaving, or simply take a peek at the many artisan shops selling Barichara’s best local arts and crafts.
Sip a Club Colombia on the square
Although you have only 24 hours in this beautiful town, you still have to sit back, relax and take it all in. Barichara’s stunning colonial square is the heart of the town, and is always a hub of activity. A great place to grab a beer here is El Fogolar (you’ll spot the chairs and parasols outside on the street) as it offers great views over the whole square and the Catedral de la Inmaculada Concepcion. It also serves light lunches – think stone-baked pizzas and hummus with pitta and veg sticks – if that beer has given you an appetite.
Treat yourself to a meal at Restaurante Las Cruces
Since its grand opening in 2008, Las Cruces has been blending local ingredients with international cooking techniques to bring you Barichara’s best gourmet menu. Set in a beautiful open-air colonial courtyard draped in exotic plants, this is the perfect romantic dinner spot, and by far the most luxurious restaurant in town. Dishes such as beef medallions, crab soup and pork loin in tamarind sauce steal the show here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.