Colombia is famous for producing some of the best coffee in the world, so it’s a coffee lover’s dream destination. However, let’s say the coffee lover in your life can’t join you on your trip to Colombia: what gifts can you bring them back to make them feel better about not actually getting to visit a Colombian coffee farm? Here are 7 great gift ideas from Colombia for coffee lovers.
A bag of coffee
This is pretty obvious really, but the best gift from Colombia for a coffee lover has to be a bag (or several) of the finest quality Colombian coffee. Some tips for bringing coffee back from Colombia: make sure you know when the coffee was roasted, as supermarket coffee was often roasted months earlier and therefore has lost quality. Also try to buy beans instead of ground coffee, as it will keep its freshness longer. The best place to buy good coffee is at one of Bogota’s many excellent independent cafes or, ideally, directly from a farmer on a coffee tour.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you really want to stick with the coffee theme for your gifts then you’ll be in luck at Bogota airport, where all of the souvenir shops sell a variety of coffee-flavoured sweets, including delicious chocolate-covered coffee beans. This also comes in handy if you managed to forget to buy a gift for your coffee loving friend and need to grab something just before you fly home!
A Cafe de Colombia cup
If there’s one iconic image from the Colombian Coffee Region then it surely must be a steaming hot cup of Colombian coffee served in one of these lovely little mugs featuring the Colombian flag. Just about every household in Colombia seems to have a set of these little china cups, so they make the perfect gift for coffee lovers (the best part is that they are easily bought – and cheap – in supermarkets, but they seem like a much fancier gift!).
A #coffeeandtravel t-shirt
You can really show your coffee lover credentials with an item of coffee-themed clothing, and Quindio-based travel operator Experiencia Cafetera have the perfect coffee t-shirt for sale: a simple design bearing their philosophy of #coffeeandtravel. The idea is to treat coffee the same way people treat other tourism experiences and offer a truly authentic and immersive coffee-related experience. And what better way for your coffee loving pal to show off their hipster cool than with a Colombian coffee tee?
A book about coffee
Karen Attman – owner and operator of an excellent Bogota-based coffee shop tour – has recently penned a great little book called Permission to Slurp: The Insider’s Guide to Tasting Specialty Coffee in Colombia. The book, in a humorous and light-hearted manner, gives the lowdown on specialty coffee in Colombia and is a great little read for anyone with an interest in coffee and Colombia.
A fancy new coffee preparation method
The chances are that a coffee loving friend will really enjoy making coffee at home, so perhaps the best gift you could bring back would be a brand new way to do that. Most good coffee shops in big cities sell a variety of different preparation methods, including the Chemex, V60, Aeropress, and Syphon, so if you really want to spoil someone with a fancy coffee present, consider picking one these up with your bag of coffee.
A coffee sack
Colombian coffee is stored and exported in giant hessian sacks marked ‘Product of Colombia’ – virtually every bean ever grown in Colombia has passed through one of these sacks at some point. They are also usually marked with a logo by different coffee brands, and sometimes they sell these beautiful sacks as gifts. They make great shopping bags or, if you buy a really big one, they also look great framed on a wall.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.