If you want to do some market shopping while in Chile, you’re in luck. Fresh produce overflows at the farmers’ markets here, showcasing local specimens such as chirimoya (custard apple), tuna (prickly pear) and lúcuma (native Andean fruit), while you can shop for leathers, alpaca wool and wooden crafts at the artisan fairs. Here’s our pick of Chile’s best markets.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Brimming with fresh fruit and vegetables, La Vega is best to visit at the beginning of the week and in the mornings before the most tantalising produce has been sold. Be sure to shop around for the most competitive prices, although they tend to be roughly similar – you can buy around seven small avocados for $1,000 (US$1.60), which is an absolute treat. On the second floor, you can find cheap eats which are extremely popular for lunch.
This is Santiago’s most famous market, found in the centre of the city and renowned for it’s fish, you can find plenty of great catches here. What’s more, you can also dine in the restaurants here and try local dishes such as the typical paila marina fish stew. Chileans actually believe seafood is a hangover cure!
Feria de Santa Lucia
Located just off Santiago’s main road, Avenida O’Higgins, is the popular Santa Lucia market, where you will be able to find a present for nearly every occasion, with colourful leather belts, alpaca socks, silver jewellery adorned with lapis lazuli and toys for children, plus many more trinkets and goodies.
Pueblito Los Dominicos
This market is located next to the metro station, Los Dominicos, on the red line (line 1). It is a great place to see local artisans at work, as well as buying unique treasures ranging from handmade wooden crafts through to ceramics, as well as homemade food and preserves, alongside tribal artwork and alpaca wool items – all of which show Chile’s rich culture and heritage.
This market makes our top ten due to its proximity to the sea and its abundance of fresh seafood. Be sure to taste a curanto, a typical dish from the south of Chile, which consists of seafood, meat, vegetables and potatoes, all of which are cooked in a pot over hot stones then covered with leaves.
Support the locals by purchasing one of their hand-crafted goods or handmade clothes made from alpaca wool. For something a little different, take a look at Chile’s favourite quirky indio picaro (‘kinky Indian’) wooden carvings. They reference the Mapuche people, with a broad smile showing gleaming teeth – though lifting the statue reveals a naughtily erect penis underneath!
The best of both worlds, La Recova provides both fresh produce alongside artisan crafts, meaning you can buy all your fruit and vegetables at the same time as a pair of alpaca wool socks to keep you warm during the winter months. In addition, homemade products are also sold, including an interesting collection of papaya products.
Mercado El Cardonal
Head to the market in Valparaiso for fresh fish, fruit and vegetables, of which this enormous building is absolutely teaming with. The building itself is an impressive feat – although its exact date of construction is unknown, it suffered quite serious damage after the 1906 earthquake that rated 8.2 on the Richter Scale.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.