Visiting Chiloé in Chile is like entering a magical realm – the inhabitants have a unique folklore and culinary traditions, while the island itself is a land of myths and legends. Explore here and you’ll discover wooden churches built by Jesuit missionaries, spot blue whales and penguins, and get to trek through stunning national parks. Here’s everything you need to know.
View the colourful palafitos
Chiloé’s largest settlement, Castro, boasts colourful houses on stilts that are called palafitos. The first of these houses were built for trade during the logging boom in the late 19th century and since, have been quite the attraction for tourists.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit the churches
The wooden churches of Chiloé are impressive due to both the Chilota architecture and the different colour schemes – the reason for the colours is so that they provide a reference for fishermen at sea. On Chiloé, 16 of these wonderful churches have been declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
Enjoy a curanto
The traditional dish of Chiloé, curanto, has become widely known and common all over the south of Chile and Argentina – famous chef Francis Mallman has also been known to cook them. Seafood, meat and potatoes are placed on hot coals in the heart of the earth, and then covered with large leaves and left to steam.
Take part in a minga
La minga de tiradura de casas is a Chiloé tradition that dates back centuries, the idea being that when a Chilote requests help, they promise something in return – so when someone needs to move their palafito, they need the help of their neighbours!
Spot some penguins
Not far from Ancud is the Monumento Natural Islotes de Puñihuil, a three-island site that aims to protect the penguins here from extinction. It’s the only spot in the world where you can see both Magallanes and Humboldt penguins in the same place.
Gift shop at the craft market
Dalcahue, Achao, Ancud and Castro all have a wide variety of artisan crafts that make great gifts, from wool hand-woven sweaters, hats and sock to yerba mate, alpaca wool, ponchos, handmade jewellery and much more.
Taste some of the hundreds of potatoes
Chiloé is famous for its wide variety of potatoes – even Darwin noted the array of tatties back in 1834. Evidence shows that the most widely cultivated variety of potato worldwide is in fact indigenous to Chiloé, and has been cultivated by the locals since before the Spanish conquest.
Trek through Chiloé National Park
Hugging the Pacific coast, this 430 square kilometres (166 square miles) park is an evergreen forest that boasts a wide variety of Chilote wildlife, with 110 different types of bird, foxes and the world’s smallest deer, the pudú. Get lost amongst the nature and trek around this wonderfully green park.
Kayak around the archipelago
What better way to get around the many islands of Chiloé than by kayak? Experience it at your own pace and enjoy the views of the archipelago from the water – the golden hour will be sure to offer some interesting photography shots.
Indulge in the wide variety of seafood
Chile is becoming more and more of a gastronomy hub due to its vast length offering such a fabulous assortment of seafood. The best restaurants in Santiago are using this as their creative platform, offering sea urchins, barnacles, razor clams, conger eel and many more.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.