Viña del Mar, on Chile’s central Pacific coast, is quieter than neighboring Valparaíso but still packs a punch with its beaches and nightlife. To avoid missing out, choose one of these excellent places to stay, bookable on Culture Trip.
Right next door to Valparaíso is the less touristy, quieter, more aesthetically pleasing town of Viña del Mar. The comparison between the two is similar to that of the tattooed, loud, wild child, always attracting attention that is Valparaíso, and the quiet, well put together, organized sibling happy to fly under the radar somewhat unnoticed that is Viña del Mar. People are shocked of its tranquil beauty and stunning green spaces, and you will be disappointed if you only visit on a day trip. So, enjoy one of these great places to stay, and make Viña del Mar your temporary home that you will not want to leave.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The imposing ship-like Sheraton Miramar Hotel sits right on the waterfront, so you can enjoy the breezy feel of a cruise while docked firmly on Viña del Mar’s shores. Polished interiors, luminous rooms and sweeping sea views are all in the cards here. Start your day with a yoga class in the fitness center before taking a dip in the indoor or outdoor heated swimming pools for some seafront laps.
Set atop sea-splashed rocks is the subtly showstopping Hotel Oceanic. Anything you do here, whether it’s waking up nestled in crisp white sheets, tucking into the continental breakfast or pampering yourself with an invigorating massage, will be done with grandiose views out over the lapping waves. Las Salinas Beach, a Viña del Mar staple, is a short walk away if you’re keen to feel the sand between your toes.
Just a dice-throw from the Municipal Casino, you’ll find the swanky Pullman Viña del Mar San Martín. Neutral tones and soft, wooden furnishings feature throughout the spacious rooms, so you can have some down time after hitting the casino by night, or the vivacious Acapulco Beach and its picturesque Vergara Pier by day.
Enjoy Viña del Mar isn’t just a hotel name but an imperative – book a stay here if you’re looking for a good time. Ovo Nightclub is on your doorstep for wild weekends of live music and dynamic dance moves. You can also head to the on-site casino to try your luck at some poker, bingo or game tables. If you’d prefer to line your stomach rather than your pockets, tuck into some Mediterranean-inflected seafood or freshly made pizzas at Santerra restaurant.
Hotel North South brings together the varied landscapes of Chile, with each room featuring panoramic shots of mountains, coastlines and lakes. To continue your Chilean culture fix, head to the Fonck Museum next door for a dose of history and archaeology (including an Easter Island Moai statue) or Carrasco Palace, the French château-style architectural beauty that today houses Viña del Mar’s cultural center and library.
Cassinetta Hotel sits in a bright, butter-colored French house dating back to the 1940s. It’s in the hushed neighborhood of Recreo, just a couple of blocks from iconic Viña del Mar sights like the flower clock and Caleta Abarca Beach. With only 12 rooms, you’ll be guaranteed tranquility and privacy here whether that’s while resting in the floral garden or tucking into a breakfast of fresh fruits, cured meats and an expertly whipped chocolate mousse.
180 Hotel Boutique lies in the impressive Cerro Castillo neighborhood that houses imposing castles and palaces constructed for Chile’s elite, including the Cerro Castillo Presidential Palace, the Chilean president’s summer residence. Give yourself the regal treatment by checking into this antique-adorned heritage house where you can watch the world go by from the picturesque terrace, or head to nearby Cerro Esperanza lookout point for a gander over the ocean.
If a salty sea breeze that reaches the greenery of a calming wood sounds like your idea of a flawless break, head to Hotel Bosque de Reñaca. The 84 spacious rooms look out onto the hotel’s lush gardens, and the on-site Abedul Restaurant will spoil your taste buds with its Chilean-Peruvian seafood delights, including juicy offerings of salmon steak and grilled octopus.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.