The beautiful, bustling hillside port of Valparaíso is known for being one of the homes of the celebrated Chilean poet Pablo Neruda, who died in 1973. This colorful city is recognized worldwide as a Unesco World Heritage Site, a deserved award given its photogenic architecture, its rich history and its cultural currents. If you love history, street art and bohemian life, Valparaíso is must – don’t miss a wander around the Cerro Alegre, Cerro Bellavista, and Cerro Concepcion neighborhoods. Here are the top things to do and see in Valparaíso, Chile, known as the Jewel of the Pacific.
Fancy flexing your creative chops while you’re in town? You’ve come to the right place. This curiosity is part art gallery, part cultural center, providing classes for arty types of all ages. Balmaceda Arte Joven teaches workshops in theater, writing, animation, visual arts, photography and even online courses. Most of the classes, performances and events are affordable or free of charge so it’s a must-stop if you are in the Cerro Alegre neighborhood.
Time now for some invigorating ocean breezes. The bay of Caleta Portales satisfies all the senses – it’s a visual feast for starters, as you watch the fishermen offloading the day’s silvery haul from their colorful boats. The pungent fish market sells fresh produce daily, and if you don’t feel like cooking, rock up to the small stalls that major in fresh mussels and ceviche. Now stroll the boardwalk and pier – you’re assured sightings of yawning sea lions and waddling pelicans.
Near Plaza Sotomayor, Cerro Alegre is a hip neighborhood with a unique bohemian vibe. The hills are steep, so our top tip is to hop aboard the El Peral funicular. Once you reach the top, you’ll be disgorged onto one of the city’s oldest streets, Paseo Yugoslavo. Wander, admiring the many viewpoints to see spectacular expanses of the bay. As you make your way down the hill, you’ll come across cozy cafes, bars and art galleries, as well as swathes of colorful graffiti and murals.
Valparaíso is known for its cleverly designed public spaces, including the city’s well-thought-out paseos, or avenues. The Paseo Rubén Darío takes you along the beach and coastline. To make the most of this self-guided tour of the city, start at Caleta El Membrillo and make your way to Carvallo beach. When you reach the halfway point, you’ll find a park called Plaza Rubén Darío. Take a break and a breather, enjoying mesmerizing views of the landscape and the Pacific.
To reach Cerro Concepcion, take the funicular, known locally as the Ascensor Concepción, and you’ll step out into one of the oldest and most colorful neighborhoods in Valparaíso. You’ll spend hours exploring its winding alleys, happening upon some of the city’s best restaurants and cafes. This area is known for its art, graffiti and lively nightlife. This historic area is a Unesco World Heritage site, an honor bestowed for its plazas, architecture and ocean outlooks.
Up in the north of the city, at the end of Altamirano Avenue, is Playa Torpederas, the city’s most scenic beach. One of only a few in Valparaíso, it can get a bit crowded at times. The water is suitable for swimming but temperatures can get a little icy, and we recommend you come with a picnic lunch. Kayaking and snorkeling are both very popular activities, and here you’ll find Chile’s first lighthouse, Punta Ángeles, which is open to the public – don’t miss a nose-round.
Even if you’re not a history buff, put the Naval and Maritime Museum on your Valparaíso itinerary. It’s blessed with a collection of more than 3,000 artifacts, including uniforms, model ships and war relics, and even a replica pirate ship for kids. The museum focuses on the history of the Chilean Navy, but there are also other exhibits that go beyond the military aspect. With over 17 rooms and numerous permanent exhibits, it’s easy to spend an entire afternoon here.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Maria Angelíca Maia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.