Santiago, Chile is known for its numerous parks and green spaces that are easy to take advantage of thanks to the city’s warm and sunny climate. Ideal for a picnic, people-watching or reading some of Pablo Neruda’s passionate love poems, an afternoon in any of these ten beautiful parks is a low-cost, peaceful way to enjoy Santiago.
This well-manicured park in the ritzy Vitacura neighbourhood is a beautiful place for a relaxing stroll or jog. With the Andes mountains in the background, the Bicentenario Park offers nice pathways, sculptures and a pond where you can see flamingos in the flesh (er, feathers). For a bite of ceviche and a fine dining experience, check out the restaurant Mestizo, which offers a view of the park and is among Santiago‘s top-rated restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Parque Quinta Normal
Founded back in 1841, the Quinta Normal Park is Santiago‘s oldest and often regarded as the most beautiful. In addition to the park’s shady trees and pond complete with paddle boats, there are several museums and historic buildings located inside the park including the National Museum of Natural History and the Children’s Museum. Keep in mind the park can get very busy on weekends – which can be fun for people-watching – but makes for a less relaxed atmosphere.
Often compared to New York City’s Central Park, Parque Araucano is one of Santiago‘s top parks, featuring a rose garden, a skate park and other sports facilities. Inside Parque Araucano, there’s also a paid attraction called ‘Selva Viva’ where visitors can experience a tropical climate and engage with a variety of exotic plants and animals.
Santiago‘s second-largest public park, Parque O’Higgins stretches across 190 acres and is great for an escape from the concrete jungle. Besides its expansive green spaces, lake, swimming pool, skate park and trails, the park includes the amusement park Fantasilandia and the Movistar Arena, one of the country’s leading music venues. Parque O’Higgins is also known for hosting traditional festivals during the Fiestas Patrias national holidays in September.
This popular city park is conveniently located in the Bellas Artes neighbourhood along the Mapocho River. With great jogging and bike paths lined with trees, Parque Forestal is a beautiful place to get in some exercise and check out the heart of the city.
Jardin Castillo Hidalgo
On top of the Santa Lucia Hill in Bellas Artes, the unique Jardin Castillo Hidalgo is a pleasant garden area by the historic Hidalgo Castle where visitors can appreciate the landscaping and catch an unforgettable view of the city. Take some time to explore Santa Lucia; the hill is bigger than it looks and offers gorgeous green areas and lookouts.
Santuario de la Naturaleza El Arrayán
Tucked away in the outskirts of Santiago, the Sanctuario de la Naturaleza El Arrayán is worth the trek. This gorgeous nature sanctuary is located in the foothills of the Andes and offers stunning views, fresh air, and plenty of spaces to grill or picnic along the Arrayán estuary.
Parque de las Esculturas
Santiago‘s Sculpture Park, or Parque de las Esculturas, is located along the Mapocho River in Providencia and is a divine location for familiarising yourself with Chilean artists or plopping down for an afternoon picnic. Walk through the park and discover the thirty different sculptures, each done by a Chilean sculptor.
Parque por la Paz, Villa Grimaldi
Dedicated to the memory of the thousands of victims of Chile’s 17-year dictatorship, the Parque por la Paz, or Peace Park, is small, quiet and packs an emotional punch. The park includes an audio guide in English to learn more about the park’s importance and the human rights violations of Chile’s political past.
Parque de los Reyes
Watch locals play soccer, take a jog or long walk and enjoy this park that runs along the Mapocho river. While in the neighbourhood, walk over to the Estación Mapocho Cultural Center, located on the park’s east side.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.