One of Latin America’s oldest capitals, Santiago, is contemporary and buzzing, yet still prides itself on its historical roots. The city is becoming more and more of a foodie hot-spot, offering everything from French haute-cuisine, Chilean street food to a variety of dishes that have been inspired by pre-colonial culinary techniques and ingredients.
Found in the heart of Providencia is Chile’s first sustainable restaurant, Aqui Esta Coco, built from 40 percent recycled materials. What’s more, you can dine in La Ruca, which is the name for a traditional Mapuche house. Each dining room has a story to tell and is finely decorated, while the menu boasts sensational seafood dishes, such as octopus carpaccio with black olive sauce, fresh whole king crabs from Patagonia, sea urchins, and the local favourite, machas a la parmesana, which is razor clams in parmesan cheese.
Celebrating pre-colonial cuisine, Peumayen Ancestral Food will introduce you to the vast array of Chilean ingredients. A deeply-rooted cultural project, this restaurant is an authentic find in Santiago. Using rare and original ingredients, and bringing to light old cooking techniques, Peumayen Ancestral Food investigates the roots of Chilean cuisine.
Chef Rodolfo Guzmán brings the finest Chilean resources to the table, from local fishermen and butchers, to working with the finest Chilean vineyards to pair his courses exceptionally. He has become renowned for his experimentation with food, using local ingredients and indigenous plants, and recreating ancient Patagonian ancestral techniques and recipes. Boragó ranked fourth in Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants in 2016, so treat yourself to a sublime evening of dining out.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bocanariz has been consistently lauded by Wine Spectator for having one of the finest wine lists in the world, with nearly 400 varieties. Designed to showcase Chilean wine, Bocanariz tempts us with its unique collection of regional wines, from internationally renowned vineyards to smaller artisan and family run bodegas. Each of the 40 dishes on the menu can be paired perfectly with one of the many bottles in its cellar.
Located among the greenery of Forestal Park and adjacent to the National Museum of Bellas Artes, Castillo Forestal is found in an old romantic castle. Dining here is a particularly memorable experience – the menu combines French and Chilean cuisines and is slow-cooked to ensure the succulent flavours. Dishes include their local famed French pastries, sandwiches, and a variety of fish-based recipes, such as crab ceviche.
Chile is world-famous for its meat-based gastronomy, and thus here is where you can find mouth watering dishes. Ox is the place to go to enjoy succulent and flavoursome beef steaks made from top quality meat. What’s more, the wine list boasts over 150 varieties, which complement the tempting meat menu. Ox also offers a variety of fish dishes for a lighter meal.
Ox, 3960 Nueva Constanera, Vitacura, Santiago, Chile, +56 2 2799 0260
Fancy a real Italian pizza? Then this is the place to go. The head chef was born and bred making pizzas in Naples and he hasn’t lost his touch since moving to Chile. With the crisp base and traditional as well as artesanal toppings, what’s not to like? You can also choose between a range of pastas and salads, but you really must have the tiramisú for dessert.
La Finestra, Avenida Irarrazaval 3465, Santiago, Chile, +56 2 2205 4502
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.