A staggering 2650mi (4265km) long, Chile is an adventurer’s dream, stretching past unspoilt desert, spooky salt flats, glacial lakes and dramatic mountains. From valleys to volcanoes, fjords to forests, there is an endless bounty of natural treasures to be discovered in this spectacular South American country. Fall under its spell at one of these remarkable resorts in Chile.
Don’t expect a standard hotel here at the gateway to Northern Patagonia in the Los Lagos Region. Instead, guests stay in either self-contained cabins in the woods, domes with private bathrooms or tents with shared facilities. Days are spent trekking in the Puyehue National Park, mountain biking by Lake Puyehue and soaking in the two thermal pools, filled with crystal-clear water from the area’s natural springs.
It may not look like your average all-inclusive property, but this extraordinary hotel on Chiloé rewrites the rule book. A wooden property built on stilts, the hotel has just 24 rooms and every single guest feels like a VIP. Room rate includes meals at the farm-to-table restaurant, Chilean wine and the signature cocktail of Chilean pisco and local ulmo honey. A mind-boggling array of excursions are on offer, including horse-trekking, a trip to the capital of the island, Castro, and kayaking.
Stargazers, adventure seekers and anyone hoping to escape the daily grind will be wowed by this lodge in Atacama, the world’s driest and highest desert at 2,500m above sea level. Days are spent soaking in outdoor thermal baths or joining once-in-a-lifetime excursions to Moon Valley, the Salar de Atacama flats or the geysers at El Tatio. After dark, prepare to be amazed – the hotel is one of the world’s best spots for stargazing and even has its own on-site telescope.
When a city break appeals but you just can’t resist the lure of the beach, this hotel in Viña del Mar is the ideal solution. The beachfront property, two hours from Santiago, is moments from the sand, with an outdoor pool overlooking the ocean and the colourful cliff top houses of Valparaíso port close by. There are plenty of attractions on the doorstep too including the home of Chilean poet Pablo Neruda and historic Wulff Castle, with ocean views beneath its famous glass floor.
Rooms with a view are standard at this unique property in Patagonia, housed in the century-old former cold storage plant, which was declared a National Monument in 1996. Every room features sweeping vistas of the Patagonian fjords through its six-metre-wide glass window. If you can tear yourself away, there are countless attractions nearby including the Milodon Caves, Sofia Lake, Dorotea Hill and the local town of Puerto Natales.
Don’t stress about the final bill at this exquisite property in the Araucania region of the Chilean Lake District. With just six suites and 12 villas, this intimate hotel takes care of everything, with the nightly rate including daily farm-to-table meals and excellent Chilean wines. A vast array of activities make the most of the surrounding rainforests, glacial lakes and snowy volcanoes, too, including heli-skiing, whitewater rafting and even tours of the hotel’s own boutique cheese factory.
One of South America’s first solar-powered hotels is on the edge of remote San Pedro de Atacama, where guests can soak up the majestic silence and awe-inspiring sights of the desert landscape. There’s a spa offering treatments inspired by the surroundings, a yoga space and an excellent restaurant with particularly mouth-watering desserts. Excursions from the hotel include trips to the Tatio geysers at sunrise, a full moon desert hike and guided stargazing with the largest public telescope in the region.
No need to leave the children behind to make this bucket-list trip to Northern Patagonia. The spa resort at the foot of the Andes has plenty for families including suites that sleep up to six, children’s menus and a special buffet table, a kid’s club and dedicated activities including mountain biking, horse riding, tennis, mini golf and bowling at the hotel’s very own alley. Afterwards, the whole family can soak together in the mineral-rich waters of the dreamy thermal pools.
Positioned on 11,000 acres (4450ha) of vineyards in the Millahue Valley, Vik Chile is a wine buff’s dream. Guests can ride horses through some of the world’s best vines, enjoy gourmet picnics and wine tasting and join in with the harvest at the right time of year. There’s even a wine spa, where treatments are derived from grapes and include luxurious wine baths.
For great places to stay, check out our guide to the best hotels in Puerto Natales, Chile, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.