Searching for a remote home in Patagonia? Look no further. Fundo Renihue, farm of the late founder of The North Face and Esprit, is for sale. This dream home in an even dreamier destination – Chaiten, Los Lagos Región, Chile – could be just what you’re looking for, at a cool $10.5 million.
Everyone knows The North Face, but what about the face behind the business? Founder of outdoor adventure brand, the late Douglas Thompkins, first came to Patagonia in 1961 and since then has founded both the Foundation for Deep Ecology and The Conservation Land Trust. He created many parks in Patagonia, including Pumalín, thus preserving land in southern Chile and Argentina, as well as northern Argentina.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In 2015, at age 72, Thompkins died in a sea kayaking accident in the place he spent 54 years exploring and preserving: Patagonia – specifically General Carrera Lake. Thompkins bought Fundo Renihue in 1991, which was his first agricultural endeavor in South America.
Resting between the Negro and Renihue rivers in the Renihue fjord, Fundo Renihue covers 1,750 acres, the majority of which is Valdivian rainforest, and features two organic gardens, three wood-stove heated greenhouses, sheep and cattle. All of which are maintained with sustainable purpose: fresh fruits and vegetables are grown for guests and residents while wool and grass-fed meat are produced for the market.
The property holds a 3,455-square foot primary house with five spacious but cozy bedrooms, an epicurean kitchen designed with a blend of copper and natural wood, a 1,722-square foot guest house with three bedrooms, a house for a caretaker, a barn and a 1,800 foot airstrip – as arriving by private plane is popular. Fundo Renihue is also accessible by boat or by car, just six hours south of El Tepual International Airport in Puerto Montt.
With breathtaking accommodations and vast opportunity for outdoor sports such as sea kayaking, horseback riding and mountain biking, Fundo Renihue is a wonderful destination for building a home – a sanctuary for adventure travel or off-the-grid relaxation.
Speaking of sanctuaries, just next door is Pumalin Park, a privately owned, but publicly accessible preserved natural area spanning 716,606 acres. Pumalin, founded in joint by Thompkins and The Conservation Land Trust, was named a Nature Sanctuary in 2005 by then President Ricardo Lagos.
The park offers many eco-touristic activities: hiking to waterfalls, through the rainforest, and up volcanoes; sea kayaking the Comano and Renihue fjords and spotting marine life such as sea lions, dolphins and the occasional whale.
From natural wonders of volcanoes, glaciers, crystal clear lakes to various wildlife including condors, penguins and pumas, Fundo Renihue in Chilean Patagonia is one of the world’s wildest places and a wonderful destination for adventure travel or off-the-grid relaxation.
Contact Sotheby’s International Realty if interesting in a visit or more information.
Pumalin Park+56 65 225 0079
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.