For those of you with a sweet tooth and a looming trip to Chile, here are the tasty sweets, snacks and desserts you need to know about, from deep-fried pastries with oozing fillings to delicious donuts and German cakes.
Alfajores are two biscuits that are stuck together with manjar (a sweet spread made from boiled milk and sugar) and either coated with desiccated coconut or milk or white chocolate. As they are Chile’s most popular snack, you won’t struggle to find them.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Torta Tres Leches
This sponge cake can be translated as ‘three milks cake’, because it is soaked in three types of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream, which combine to give it a sweetened and moist taste. Chileans like to add some manjar or fruit puree to give it an even richer flavour.
Although these aren’t really considered a dessert, more like snacks for any time of day, they still warrant attention. Made from flour and pumpkin and deep-fried, you can drizzle them with a hot sauce made from sugar, cinnamon and orange rind.
Made with sugar, egg whites, flour, butter and vanilla, these tube-shaped treats are usually filled with dulce de leche or manjar. They’re extremely popular in both Chile and Argentina and you can get them from bakeries as well as street vendors.
These are a little like doughnuts; the doughy goodness is left to rise before fried on each side for about two minutes, then injected either with cream, jam, hazelnut spread, manjar or custard.
These pastry swirls are truly scrumptious, with a harder layer of pastry on the outside and sweetness on the inside, usually manjar or dulce de leche.
These treats are great for those that avoid gluten, as they are made solely of eggs and desiccated coconut. They are soft and chewy, and are sometimes garnished with chopped almonds, although traditionally they’re just coconut.
Mote con Huesillo
This could be considered to be both a drink and a dessert. Made with dried peaches and mote, which is essentially wheat, they are cooked with sugar, water and cinnamon, making a sweet, sugary drink and particularly refreshing during the summer months.
Pan de Pascua
Pascua can be used in Chile to mean either Christmas or Easter, in addition to the word Navidad, meaning Christmas. This cake is usually eaten around Christmas time. Similar to a sweet fruity and nutty sponge cake, it is flavoured with ginger and honey as well as candied fruit.
When the Germans settled in the south of Chile, they brought Kuchen with them; good luck trying to avoid eating a slice! The most popular variation is cake with large chunks of fruit and topped with either a crust or a layer of crumble, although the ones to look out for are the ones with local fruits, such as mora (blackberries) and membrillo (quince); they really are divine.
If you treat yourself to lunch out, you may as well get the menu del dia, which is a cheap three-course meal. Chances are, the dessert will be flan, as this sweet, custardy dessert is on every menu in Chile!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.