You may have thought Chilean cuisine was all meat-filled empanadas or egg-topped chorrillanas, and that it’s nearly impossible to avoid animal products here—but being vegan in Santiago isn’t actually a challenge. There are numerous vegetarian restaurants and plenty of vegan options popping up around the city.
Chile cultivates a range of vegetables and fruits, which makes avoiding animal products extremely easy. After all, Chile is one of the world’s largest exporters of avocados, so that’s half of the vegan diet solved! There’s an increasing amount of vegan restaurants making use of this fresh produce and creating delicious, (mostly) healthy dishes. Here is a low-down of a few local favorites.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Vegan Bunker is located in a colorful house in Barrio Italia, where the walls are adorned with paintings of happy animals and empty birdcages. They have an impressive cake selection (a hard find in other vegan establishments) and an inexpensive daily menu featuring dishes such as polenta rice and vegan meatballs. Another plus is their huge selection of sandwiches and burgers. Their vegan version of the classic Chilean dish Chorrillana is a fantastic option to share. With such an extensive menu, there is something for everyone here.
Tucked away on a quiet street in Providencia, Katako Veg is a relaxed option for diners without a hurry. Spend a few tranquil hours conversing over a fresh pressed fruit juice, chow down a lentil stew, or share some vegan quesadillas with friends. Staying later? Order a classic pisco sour with fresh ingredients. Katako Veg has a spacey garden and often hosts concerts, so it’s got a lot of plus points for its chilled, cozy ambiance.
This is a great little hole-in-the-wall run by Hare Krishna in the University District. Sandwiched between burger and pizza away joints, Abhay Charan stocks integral vegan empanadas, palta-laden hot dogs (known in Chile as completos), mouthwatering brownies, and cakes. It’s a rare treat to get tasty, hearty vegan food on-the-go at such a good price. Also, best vegan brownies in town!
A vegan establishment with a punch. Vg Burger doesn’t do wholesome foods—it does burgers, fries, nuggets, and nachos. Here you’ll find all the best guilty pleasures while still keeping it 100% vegan. Vg Burger is a fun and spirited place, unafraid to experiment with flavors. (Fried plantain inside a burger? Alright then!) And, of course, avocado toppings every time.
Another appetizing option run by Hare Krishna, Govindas is a vegetarian/vegan restaurant with large portions and humble, tasty food. They also offer community, with yoga classes on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays and cooking classes on Thursdays—all for free. For unpretentious, hearty food in an atmosphere that leaves your stomach and heart happy, head over to Govindas.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.