Take a stroll around the centre of Santiago and admire these imposing architectural landmarks. From the grandiose Presidential Palace, where you can watch the changing of the guards, to the impressive Central Train Station and the tranquil Bahia Temple, which boasts panoramic views over the city, these are the best buildings to seek out in Chile’s capital city.
Santiago’s one and only railway station is on Avenida Libertador General Bernardo O’Higgins, the main artery of the city. The building was designed by Gustave Eiffel in 1897, with a large metallic structure next to its classy creme facade. In 1983, it was declared a National Monument.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bolsa de Comercio
This building is the Santiago Stock Exchange, dominant in its facade as well as its position as the third-largest stock exchange in Latin America, after Brazil and Mexico. Founded in 1893, and designed by Emile Jécquier, this is a beautiful piece of architecture, reminiscent of the French Renaissance style, and was also built to withstand forceful earthquakes.
You can’t miss the Costanera centre, also know as the Gran Torre Santiago, towering above all the large skyscrapers in Santiago’s city centre. This monumental piece of architecture rises up like a glass pyramid to an outstanding height of 300 metres (985 feet), and has 64 stories, which makes it the tallest building in Latin America. Hosting the largest shopping centre in Latin America, tourists and Chileans alike flock here to find international clothing brands such as Zara, H&M and Topshop. In addition, it really is magnificent to watch the sun set from the 360° bird’s-eye view from Sky Costanera, the observation deck at the top.
Nestled among the Andes, this peaceful retreat is the perfect place to worship, or even just to visit and admire its quirky architecture. The Bahá’í temple was completed in late 2002 and is the most modern piece of architecture included in this tour. The octagonal temple is filled with natural light, while the surrounding gardens are the perfect place to reflect.
This, with its stunning whitewashed walls and air of regality, absolutely must be on your list of places to visit in Santiago. Although it is known as The Palace of La Moneda, it was only used as a government house between 1846 and 1958. After that, in 1965, it became a National Monument; you can still take a tour around it today. Underneath the palace you will find the La Moneda Cultural Centre, which exhibits wonderful international art.
Plaza de Armas
Santiago’s main square, the Plaza de Armas, boasts a number of historic buildings, which include the neoclassical Catedral Metropolitana de Santiago (Metropolitan Cathedral of Santiago) that dates back to 1748, the Palacio de la Real Audiencia de Santiago (Royal Court House) that served as the home for the royal courts of justice, and the Correo Central(Central Post Office), which is supposed to be on the same plot where the famous conquistador Pedro de Valdivia built his house. Try not to get too distracted while gazing at the architecture, as the area is rich with pickpockets.
Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes
Chile’s National Museum of Fine Arts is one of the principal hubs for fine art in the whole of South America. Not only is it one of the best, but also one of the oldest, as it was established back in 1880. It was designed by Emile Jéquier in a classic Beaux-Arts style. It is located just off Parque Forestal, from where you can see it in all its splendour; behind it is the Museum of Contemporary Art.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.