The list of reasons to visit Chile is about as long as the country itself, and on that list you’ll find the city of Iquique. Taking a closer look, you’ll realize that this town feels nothing like a busy metropolis and offers a number of reasons for why you should make it your next travel destination.
Take your best shot at one of the most unique sports available in Iquique with sand boarding. You can take a tour to lead you up to Cerro Dragon for an incredible view of the city as you teach yourself how to cruise over billions of grains of fine sand. Don’t worry if you’ve never practiced any boarding sports before and if you fall, your landing is guaranteed to be soft.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The most popular beach in Iquique is the busiest for good reason. However, because of its sheer size, it is very easy to find a chunk of paradise and remove yourself from the crowds. If you want to mingle, come here on a Sunday afternoon and join the acrobatic exercises, games and sports that take place before the sun sets and the work week begins.
As the driest place in the world, the Atacama Desert has many benefits and impeccable weather, making Iquique a great city to explore it. At 105,000 square kilometers (40,540 square miles) in size with Iquique located on the desert’s local centre, you’ll be in the perfect place to venture inland and explore some of the most unlivable conditions on planet earth.
San Pedro de Atacama
Before becoming one of the most visited towns in Chile, San Pedro de Atacama was also a gateway to and from the Bolivian Salt Flats, since it was at one point considered a part of Bolivia. Before it was claimed by the Chileans during the War of the Pacific, San Pedro de Atacama was a community settled by the Atacameños and remains a terrific place to learn about Pre-Columbian times.
One of the most important battles during the War of the Pacific was the Battle of Iquique, which occured just off the city’s shore. The Esmeralda was part of the Chilean fleet and was sunk during this lengthy, important battle. In 2011, a life-size replica of the ship was constructed to depict it as it was in 1879 before it reached its final resting place at the bottom of the ocean.
Some of the greatest sunsets in the world come from Chile because of its extensive stretch of coastline, and one of the best sunsets in Chile is in the company of the Marinero Desconocido (or the “Unknown Sailor”). This statue of a sailor spends every sunrise and sunset on his ship, which is shaped to a cliff’s edge and looks like the bow of a vessel.
Visit the deserted town of Humberstone and the Santa Laura Saltpeter Works in a ghost town located 45 minutes inland from Iquique to see another side of this region’s history. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, you’ll have to pay a small entrance fee of 4,000 CLP (roughly $7 USD) which helps to preserve the town and allows you to walk around this eerie historical site.
On a map, Iquique looks like a sprawling city, but at ground level, it feels more like a town that’s been stretched out to give everyone some space. Embrace this and turn your travels into a relaxation day (or two). Enjoy the city’s quiet streets, walk the deserted beaches south of Cavancha, soak in some sun and rejuvenate for the next leg of your journey.
Municipal Theatre and Clock Tower
The centre of town is always a hot spot for excitement and you can walk down Baquedano Street from Playa Cavancha to see a number of arts, crafts, restaurants, bars and patios along the way. At the end of your walk will be the beautiful centre of town and the equally stunning clock tower and Municipal Theatre of Iquique where you can take a look at the progression of Chilean theatre and entertainment.
The Wild West
Strolling down Baquedano Street towards the centre of town will have you thinking you’re in Texas, not a coastal Chilean town. This street’s faded wooden buildings with window shutters and grand doors will also have you expecting to see a cowboy pushing through any of the saloon-like doors. However, the buildings on Baquedano Street are original to the centre of Iquique when the city started to expand during the mining boom of the 1800s.
For anything from clothes to electronics, you’ll be able to get your discounted shopping done at the Zofri Shopping Centre. Located in the north part of town, it’s the largest mall in Iquique and offers duty free shopping so you won’t have to wait for your next flight.
Mall ZOFRI, Iquique, Tarapacá Region, Chile, +56 57 251 5100
You may need a wetsuit if you plan to surf in Iquique, as the water here is anything but warm. With the city’s ample coastline, you’ll be able to find a curling or crumbling wave to suit your surfing skill level. Beginners may want to take lessons first in order to get the basics down and know exactly when to paddle out, but those with a surfing background can simply rent a board and ask any local at the beach’s surf shops where the best wave is at any time of day.
It’s hard to walk a couple blocks in downtown Iquique without coming across a quaint coffee shop serving up some delicious java and tasty treats. Iquique is paving the way for Chile’s coffee culture and you would be French pressed, sorry, hard pressed to find a better cup of coffee or a more relaxing patio in Chile than the ones Iquique’s coffee shops and bakeries have to offer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.