If a visit to Chile is on your radar, then a trip to the beautiful colonial town Puerto Varas in the southern reaches of the country is a must. Whether you’re a history buff or a nature lover, here are 13 reasons to check out Puerto Varas, even if it’s just once in your lifetime.
It’s a good year-round destination
One of the best things about Puerto Varas is its versatility. Though a popular summer (February-April) destination due to its proximity to Lake Llanquihue and its outdoor activity options, visiting Puerto Varas in the winter months (July-October) also has its advantages: skiing, less traffic and a more localized experience. Whenever you decide to visit this charming town, you’re in for a treat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are beautiful boutique hotels
Puerto Varas boasts many charming hotels and hostels. Lodging is one of the most important factors in planning a trip, and Puerto Varas’s many options make that decision both difficult, with so many places to choose from, but also easy, as you’re sure to love your boutique home base.
It’s an entry point to Patagonia
Although there are many opinions about where Patagonia begins, according to Chile’s Tourism Service, the region begins in the River Region, just north of the Lakes Region, where Puerto Varas is located. That means Puerto Varas is a point of entry into one of the world’s most wild places: Patagonia. Further south, you’ll find Torres del Paine, Patagonia’s most popular park and more.
The Lakes Region is beautiful
If you never left Puerto Varas and the surrounding lake towns, you would still have an incredible trip. The lakes, volcanoes, pastures and colorful towns here are breathtaking and definitely worth a visit, even if just once in a lifetime. Although after one stay in the area, you’ll probably never want to leave.
One of the biggest draws to Puerto Varas is Volcan Osorno, one of Chile’s most active volcanoes. Visible in nearly all parts of town, but best viewed along the lake, the volcano stands tall and bold. Just a 30-minute drive from the center of Puerto Varas, a visit to Volcan Osorno is doable and memorable, at any time of the year.
The architecture is lovely
Due to the influence of immigrants during the colonial era, a distinctly German style is evident in the architecture, cuisine and schools in Puerto Varas. From colorful churches and hostels, to quaint restaurants, cafés and modern homes, this town is a lovely spot with some truly beautiful buildings.
Restaurants here are a real treat
A trip to the south of Chile means you’ll be well-fed. With excellent seafood, steakhouses, and Italian and German restaurants, Puerto Varas offers a diverse palate of foods and savory Chilean flavors. Be sure to walk along the lake, as the best restaurants line the coastal street.
It’s a slice of Germany… in Chile
When you think about a small town in southern Chile, you probably don’t think German. But, Puerto Varas is just that; founded by German immigrants, who came to Lake Llanquihue around 1853 as a part of a colonization attempt, sponsored by the government. On June 27, 1853, the government created the ‘Llanquihue Lake Colonization Territory’ and by the end of that year, over 200 German families had immigrated to what is now Puerto Varas. Visitors who come here marvel at the fusion of Chilean and German culture, cuisine and architecture.
Located along Chile’s second largest lake, Lake Llanquihue, Puerto Varas enjoys the status of ‘lake-town’. The lake is a huge attraction for the city, as locals and tourist alike enjoy daily strolls along the shores, gazing out on the Andes and volcanoes. In the summer months, swimming and boating is popular, but even in the middle of winter, the lake’s vastness and beauty is inspiring.
The south of Chile is rich with indigenous culture. Here you’ll find many artisan shops, boasting tapestries, locally sourced wool, wood carvings and goods, beautiful garments and home goods, all of which tell the story of those who have lived and cultivated the steppes of southern Chile. You’ll likely fall in love with the Feria Artesanal and the shop owners.
It’s a safe town, with nice people
One of the perks of small towns is the safety aspect. Puerto Varas is one of Chile’s safest spots as the town is made up of families and tourists during the summer months. While it is good to take proper, universal precautions when traveling, you won’t have to worry about pickpockets or rude taxi drivers here in the south of Chile. The culture is much more relaxed and slow.
The specialty markets are a joy
While a small town, Puerto Varas is relatively modern. That means its easy to find vegan and vegetarian and gourmet food. Puerto Verde, La Dispensa, Rengifo are some of the best places to shop if you like local, fresh, and coconut oil.
Puerto Verde, Walker Martinez 350, Puerto Varas, X Region, Chile, +56 98 827 6530
La Dispensa, San Bernardo 555, Puerto Varas, X Region, Chile, +56 09 4005 7510
Bodega Rengifo, Quintanilla 950, Puerto Varas, X Region, Chile, +56 65 223 6599
How many small towns have big casinos – not too many, right? Well, Puerto Varas does. Located in the bottom of Dreams los Volcanoes, in the center of town, Casino Dreams is the perfect place to try your hand at poker or your game of preference.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.