Beautiful, barren and hauntingly surreal, the otherworldly landscapes of Chile’s Atacama desert are difficult to put into words. This strange yet stunning part of the world feels more alien than familiar, chock full of lagoons, volcanoes and geysers that are far from the norm. Let’s take a look at 12 reasons why a visit to the Atacama is totally worthwhile.
Enjoy the nothingness
The Atacama desert is the driest non polar region on earth, with some sections known to have gone decades without a single drop of rain. As a result, few species can survive in much of these sparse, barren lands.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Swim in a lagoon
But not all the desert is devoid of water. A series of picturesque lagoons are scattered around the higher regions, some so salty that it’s possible to float without effort.
Spot some pink flamingos
And with water comes life, most notably a flamboyance of colorful pink flamingos who thrive off the mineral rich algae of the lagoons.
Say hello to a vicuña
Then there is the Vicuña, a nomadic beast who must spend its life scrounging for what little food it can find.
Visit the Valley de la Luna at sunset
But it’s the scenery of the Atacama that really draws a crowd. The most notable spot is the Moon Valley, whose endless surreal rock formations make it worthy of its namesake.
Admire towering volcanoes
Snow-capped volcanoes appear seemingly at every turn, creating a breathtaking natural border between Chile and neighboring Bolivia.
Look up to the stars
NASA and other astronomical organizations are based in the region due to its famously clear skies. Nowhere on earth offers clearer stargazing than here. Better yet, tourists are welcome to get involved.
Marvel at bubbling hot geysers
At El Tatio, underground thermal activity spews piping out steam high up into the air, creating an incredible spectacle that is best viewed at the break of dawn.
Explore a salty desert
Uyuni in Bolivia might get the most attention, though Chile has its own salt flats too. The blindingly white expanse of Salar de Atacama is ripe for exploration.
Go for a ride
A number of San Pedro de Atacama’s attractions can be explored by bike, a cheap and tranquil way to discover this incredible region.
Check out some villages
San Pedro de Atacama itself might be rather touristy, but some of the surrounding villages are as authentic as they come. Take a moment to wonder around these adobe huts to get a feel for high altitude rural life.
Now head off to Bolivia
Many travelers start a tour in San Pedro de Atacama heading towards Uyuni and the sights of south west Bolivia, a captivating region that is not to be missed.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.