Originating in Puerto Rico in the late 1990s, reggaeton is influenced by hip hop, Latin American and Caribbean music. It has spread throughout South America where bars, shops and cars pulsate with the bom cha cha bom cha cha of the beats. Here are some of the most popular tracks.
Luis Fonsi – Despacito ft. Daddy Yankee
Although Despacito hit the charts internationally due to the collaboration with Justin Bieber, the song was originally just Luis Fonsi, before Daddy Yankee joined. This version, is the most popular in Latin America, with over 3.6 billion views and augmenting continuously!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ricky Martin – Vente Pa’ Ca ft. Maluma
Ricky Martin is a man of many talents, from his early career as a member of Menudo, his acting career in Mexico as well as becoming a writer. His singing career exploded in 1999 with Livin’ la Vida Loca, putting Ricky’s name at the top of the pops. Vente Pa’ Ca (Come Here) released in 2016, became one of the most played tracks of the year.
Enrique Iglesias – SUBEME LA RADIO ft. Descemer Bueno, Zion & Lennox
Released at the beginning of 2017, this song has been played all over the world due to Enrique being a household name. The song topped Spanish charts, being Enrique’s eighth number one. Duele el Corazón was his previous biggest hit, it was just as catchy and adored around South America as this one.
Shakira – Chantaje ft. Maluma
Chantaje was a single released in anticipation of Shakira’s eleventh album, El Dorado. The song was written by Shakira and Maluma, who wanted the song to become a battle of the sexes where the male would like to know where he stands with his lover, however, this is not cleared up during the song, mysterious girl!
J. Balvin & Willy William – Mi Gente
Recorded by Colombian singer J Balvin and French singer and producer Willy William, the hit was released in June 2017. The song infuses African beats, electronic and Caribbean genres and will no doubt stick in your head.
Osmani Garcia, Pitbull & Sensato – El Taxi
Although El Taxi was released in July 2015, on Pitbull’s album Dale (Hit It), it is a timeless tune that does the rounds. The toot toot will likely help you recognise it. The album won a Grammy Award for the Best Latin Rock, Urban or Alternative Album at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards.
Enrique Iglesias – Bailando ft. Descemer Bueno, Gente De Zona
Bailando (Dancing) is on Enrique’s Sex and Love album from 2014. Despite being out for countless years, the song will most definitely still be circulated in the coming years. There have been other language versions through the years, one featuring Sean Paul and two Portuguese versions.
Carlos Vives & Shakira – La Bicicleta
La Bicicleta will be on Shakira’s upcoming fifteenth album Vives, as well as already featuring on El Dorado. The song is a collaboration between two Colombians and was intended to represent both their musical styles, merging genres pop, cumbia and vallenato as well as featuring accordions and indigenous Colombian wind instruments.
J. Balvin, Jowell & Randy – Bonita
Dropped in June 2017, this old-school reggaeton track by Colombian star J Balvin and Puerto Rican duo Jowell & Randy, is a very upbeat track that will be featured on the forthcoming album Viva La Musik.
Becky G – Mayores ft. Bad Bunny
Another recent release from July 2017, this is the Latin pop star’s latest single. With tropical beats backing the track, the lyrics express Becky’s preference for a gentleman rather than a boy accompanied by a sultry video.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.