The coastal spot of Barra Grande in Brazil is a holiday-maker’s dream – it is miles, literary and metaphorically, from the fast pace of urban life. Using the town as a base means discovering the peninsula’s natural wonders, exotic wildlife and rare moments of total peace. Check out these best day trips from Barra Grande.
Taipu de Fora
Just to the south of Barra Grande on the sea side of the peninsula is a 7km (4.3 mile)-long beach called Taipu de Fora. It is surrounded by a coral reef, so when the tide goes out pale sapphire-blue natural swimming pools of calm, warm water form. Hire a snorkel and paddle around after the tropical fish or bask on the beach, which has a few restaurants and barracas to order from.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Blue Lagoon, a little further south from Taipus, is a large, long freshwater lake of inky blue. It has a few sandy ‘beaches’ around its edge which are good to get in from, and as the water has a high concentration of lanolin, a dip here is very effective at softening skin. Morro de Farol (Lighthouse Hill) is nearby – from here you get a sweeping view of the area from its highest point.
Rent a speed boat to explore the Baía de Camamu or, in the high season (December to March), take one of the schooner trips that leave the town daily to go around the islands. Pedra Furada, an arch of rock hollowed out of the cliff by erosion, is a popular stop about half an hour across the bay. Most of the boat trips also dock at the Ilha do Sapinho for lunch. The restaurants will serve you a hearty meal of Brazilian fare, like freshly caught fish or crab, grilled meat and sides of beans and vegetables, with a chilled beer or a caipirinha.
If you don’t take a trip to the islands, it is worth getting a speed boat to take you to the Tremembé waterfalls. The drivers are very nifty at manoeuvring their boats right underneath the frothing curtain of waterfall spraying and delighting everyone on board, making for excellent photos. Be sure to get off and visit the bar on land too – just a wooden shack in the woods, it serves tasty homemade cachaça.
One day, hire a quadbike and bomb down the sandy coast path all the way to Praia de Algodões. It is one of Bahia’s most beautiful stretches of beach and though there isn’t much ‘organised fun’ there, it doesn’t take long to settle into the rhythm: go for a walk, stare out to sea and watch the odd fisherman haul in his catch. For lunch head to either Lá em Casa or Bar do Raúl on Praia da Saquaíra for simple, local homemade dishes, and check to see if anything it happening at Tikal. The beachside bar is a party spot in the high season.
Barra Grande beach
As Barra Grande is on the bay side of the Maraú peninsula, the waters of its beach are calm and quiet. They are ideal for stand-up paddle-boarding and kayaking, as well as for bathing in. A lighthouse on the site of former Portuguese fort at the north end of the beach marks the entrance to the bay and is one of the best places in Brazil to watch the sun set as it faces west.
Boipeba is a wild and relatively untouched island just north of Barra Grande. There are no cars on the island so inhabitants rely on donkeys and tractors which makes it all the more charming. Go by fast boat through the mangrove swamps and rivers, which takes about half an hour and enjoy the day on Boipeba. Anchor for lunch in either Velha Boipeba or Moreré and be sure to go to one of the floating bars on your way home.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.