We’ve scoured Brazil’s diverse landscape to seek out its 10 most delectable cocktails, from the classic Caipirinha to more rustic home-made concoctions. Raise a glass of one of these.
Brazil’s national cocktail is the legendary Caipirinha, which is created with a fiery liquor from sugar cane, called cachaça. Rumored to have originated in the early 1900s as an antidote to the Spanish flu, today Caipirinha is a much-loved cocktail not only in Brazil but worldwide. It is served everywhere from beachside bars to swanky cocktail saloons. The classic version is remarkably easy to make, calling for good-quality cachaça to be mixed with fresh lime juice, sugar, and crushed ice to create a sharp-and-sweet sensation that is both refreshing and dangerously easy to drink. Variations include the Caipifruta – in which fresh exotic fruits such as mango, pineapple, or kiwi are added. – There’s also the Caipiroska – in which vodka is substituted for cachaça.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Capeta, which means ‘devil’ in Portuguese, is a wickedly good concoction dreamed up in the north of Brazil and often drunk at Carnival time. It consists of cachaça, condensed milk, cinnamon, honey, and guarana – a tropical berry native to the Brazilian Amazon that is known for its energizing effects. The drink’s sweet and creamy taste can be made even more indulgent with the addition of chocolate powder. This will definitely give you that extra oomph with which to dance the night away.
‘Caju Amigo’ translates to ‘friendly cashew,’ and this super simple cocktail combines two of Brazil’s favorite national flavors: cashew fruit juice and cachaça. Both ingredients are mixed together in a shot glass and served straight, although adding ice may be preferable. In some parts of Brazil, seasoned drinkers instead chew a slice of the cashew and, without swallowing, knock back a shot of cachaça. Although it may not be your typical tipple, the Caju Amigo is surprisingly tasty.
Leite de Onça
One sip of this deliciously smooth, ferocious-sounding ‘jaguar milk’ cocktail will have you roaring with joy and clawing for more. The drink is a heady mix of cachaça and condensed milk that is usually served cold and in a plain mug. The result is that due to its color and consistency it resembles a cup of plain milk – a dangerous illusion given its potency. With a comforting, sweet taste, the Leite de Onça can be jazzed up with a sprinkle of cinnamon or chocolate powder.
For a taste of local spirit, try rustling up Aluá – a homemade, fermented fruit wine that has been enjoyed by Brazilians for centuries. The drink originates from the country’s northern states, such as Bahia and Pernambuco. It is prepared by mixing the rinds of two pineapples with water, brown sugar, grated ginger, and cloves. Then, leave the mixture for 24 hours in the tropical heat, so the pineapple rind ferments. The fermentation makes the drink bubbly and light, but the longer you leave the concoction, the more alcoholic it will become. Be aware that leaving it too long will create a vinegary taste. Once you’re ready to drink it, discard the pineapple and serve chilled.
Drinking this delicious tropical fruit cocktail is like sipping on pure sunshine. Perfect for a beach-side pick-me-up, the Batida consists of cachaça mixed with one or more fresh-off-the-tree tropical fruits, sugar, and ice. ‘Batida’ means shaken or crushed, alluding to the blended consistency of the cocktail, which resembles a smoothie or milkshake. The most common fruits used are lemons, strawberries, passion fruit, and coconuts. It can often be served with the addition of condensed milk for an extra sugar rush.
This Brazilian twist on the classic Bloody Mary is the perfect morning-after rescue brew. This version replaces vodka with the country’s go-to spirit, cachaça, which is mixed with fresh tomato juice, lemon juice, passion fruit juice, celery salt, tabasco, ground pepper, and nutmeg. It is then served over ice in a highball glass with a stick of celery or slice of cucumber as a garnish.
Quentão de Vinho
A steaming glass of Quentão will help keep toes warm and spirits high on those nippy winter nights. It’s a Brazilian version of mulled wine made with cachaça and spices, usually served in the country during the alfresco celebrations of Festa Junina that mark the beginning of Brazilian winter. Sugar is first caramelized with warming spices, such as cloves and cinnamon, ginger, and orange peel then boiled with water for 10 minutes. Cachaça is added at the end and the mix is heated for a further few minutes. In the southern regions of Brazil, cachaça is often replaced with red wine.
Those who understand Portuguese will appreciate the play on words of Rabo-de-Galo, which means ‘tail of the rooster,’ or ‘cock-tail.’ Officially, it’s a mix of two parts cachaça with one part red vermouth. But, in many parts of the country, it simply means mixing cachaça with any other spirit that the barman can get his hands on, to raucous effect.
The oh-so-potent Bossa Nova is named after the popular Brazilian dance. A couple of glasses in and you’ll be able to shake it like the locals – or at least you’ll think you can. To make it, mix dark rum with apricot brandy, Galliano, and freshly squeezed lime and pineapple juice before straining it into a tall glass of crushed ice with a garnish of pineapple on the side. Perfection.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.