The coast of the state of Bahia, in northeastern Brazil, runs hundreds of kilometres north-south along the cool Atlantic. Despite its proximity to Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, and with the country’s third biggest city, Salvador, as its capital, it is remarkably empty. The entire coastline is a dreamy wonderland of pristine sand, nodding coconut trees, mangroves and wildlife. Here is our selection of the state’s most beautiful beaches.
Praia dos Nativos
Trancoso, a small town that has been built around one of Brazil’s oldest churches, is pure laid-back tropical charm. It became popular with hippies in the 1970s and is now swarmed by celebrities and models. Praia dos Nativos sits just south of the church which, and it retains its wild beauty despite the influx of visitors. To reach it, walk through a mangrove swamp across a wooden walkway. It’s not unusual to see a football game played by locals as the sun sets or horses walking by.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Praia do Espelho
Though only twenty kilometres farther down the coast than Trancoso, Praia do Espelho feels like a million miles away. Only dedicated beach-goers make it; its remote exclusivity is part of what makes it so special. The slightly curved beach contains rich, golden sand and is bookended by rugged white cliffs and palms. Silvinhas, a tiny restaurant with no menu and only the dona de casa cooking, is another great reason to visit.
Taipu de Fora
From above, Taipu de Fora is a breathtaking sight. As the palm trees begin to thin out and the beach emerges, a network of natural swimming pools reveal themselves in the shallows. When the waves pull back over the reefs they leave trails of whitewash that make the azure blue of the water and sky pop. Snorkellers can paddle around and follow the fish and marine life that live in the coral.
Prainha, or “little beach” in Portuguese, is a gem in Itacaré’s already glittering crown. The surf town is situated on an outcrop at the mouth of the river, giving it a coastline of little bays and hidden corners topped with thick, unspoiled rainforest. To reach Prainha, travelers have to walk for about half an hour through the jungle. There are rarely ever many people around—just the sounds of the waves crashing along the shore and the gentle rustle of palm fronds in the breeze.
The beaches on the island of Morro de São Paulo are named by number. Quarter Praia (“Fourth Beach”) is not only the pick of an impressive bunch but it is a haven of shimmering shallows and fine, flawless sand. Loll in warm pockets of water watching the fish when the tide is in or galavant on the expanse of wet beach when it retreats and the sun’s long shadows bounce off the ridges in the sand.
Praia de Moreré
Much of Boipeba, Morro de São Paulo’s neighbouring island, is made of wild mangrove swamps. With just a few parts of the island inhabited by people and no cars, it bursts with birds, monkeys, dolphins, whales, and turtles, and many other animals. What’s remarkable about the island’s most beautiful beach, Praia de Moreré, is that at low tide the expanse of sparkling sea meets every inch of the horizon and boats lie askew on the sand.
Despite being on Bahia’s Discovery Coast, Caraíva feels exactly the opposite—undiscovered. Getting there requires a fleet of transport, usually ending with a donkey to the door. The result is a place steeped in calm and tranquility The tiny town’s beach is lapped by idle waves and silken-like sand stretches back into a thin forest of handsome coconut trees.
Praia de Algodões
The Marau peninsula is a sharp spit of land flanked by the Atlantic on one side and Camamu Bay on the other. The coastline is an almost straight bar of wide sand that runs for miles and miles. One beach merges peacefully into another, and in the distance the tree line, sand and sea eventually merge and fade away. Praia de Algodões, a section of these glorious shores, is a sanctuary of rugged natural beauty.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.