For the last 24 years, Brazil’s Marcio Mizael Matolias has avoided paying rent, or any bills for that matter, in one of Rio de Janeiro’s most prestigious neighbourhoods, Barra da Tijuca. How? By living in a sandcastle that he built himself.
For over two decades, 46-year-old Matolias, known by locals as ‘King Marcio’, has lived in a sandcastle on the beach of Barra da Tijuca. Living up to his name, Matolias built a royal throne for himself outside his sandcastle and can always be seen wearing a plastic crown and carrying a makeshift staff.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Decorative sandcastles or statues are a common sight along the main beaches in Rio de Janeiro, which are made into tourist attractions by the locals who exchange photo opportunities for loose change. However, Matolias is the first to build a sandcastle as a home, and his efforts reflect the reality of high housing costs for many of Rio’s people.
Matolias appears content with his choice of living. “I grew up in the Bay of Guanabara, I always lived on the beach,” Matolias told the UK’s The Mirror. “People pay exorbitant rents to live in front of the sea, I do not have bills and here I have a good life.”
To maintain the sandcastle’s walls and turrets, Matolias needs to regularly water the sides of his castle to prevent the fine sand from crumbling in the city’s year-round tropical climate. He needs to have patience, too – a single tropical storm can destroy the entire sandcastle in a matter of minutes, forcing him to rebuild the structure from scratch. Having done this for over 20 years, he has become well-adapted at swiftly and efficiently reconstructing his sandcastle, and his work has caught the attention of a local shopping mall that sometimes hires him to build decorative sand pieces for their displays.
Matolias was reported as saying he learned to build sandcastles through a friend and through reading books – one of his biggest passions. His other hobbies include golf and fishing, and he keeps collections of books, golf clubs and fishing rods. And while the sandcastle appears to be grandiose on the outside, its facade masks the tiny room inside. Matolias’s three-square-metre (32-square-foot) bedroom, which is piled from floor to ceiling with his few possessions (mostly books), is supported by wooden beams. His bathroom is a nearby lifeguard shack where he is also able to take a shower.
King Marcio has become a local celebrity and attraction; curious tourists pass by to take photos of the ‘king’ and his unusual home. Matolias lets them sit on the throne or he happily takes a seat and poses for photos. Sometimes, tourists leave money (though not always), which is how he makes some money.
His love of books also helps him make a small income. Just next to his castle, a table sits piled with books where passers-by can shop and buy, giving whatever price they feel is reasonable. Above the books is a sign that reads: “Pick up a book and contribute in the box so that this initiative doesn’t end.”
Matolias reportedly said that the only downside to his castle is that the sand holds in heat, and with summer temperatures in Rio soaring to 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit), sleeping can become impossible. On the hot days, he stays with a friend, though he prefers to be by the sea and doesn’t intend to leave his palace on the shore any time soon.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.