Year after year, Rio de Janeiro ranks top of the list of the world’s best places to celebrate New Year’s. With jaw-dropping firework displays, two million people happily crammed onto the famous Copacabana beach and a mix of spiritual and superstitious rituals, it’s not hard to see why. Here, we explore where to go, what to eat and what to wear to Rio’s extravagant and unforgettable New Year’s Eve parties.
Head To Copacabana Beach
All throughout Rio are some incredible parties in the city’s hottest nightclubs with open bars, live DJs and wall-shaking music. However, each year, it’s Copacabana beach that attracts the highest number of visitors with over two million party-goers taking over the sandy shores to watch one of the world’s biggest firework spectacles. The party officially begins around 8 p.m. with live bands that range from international DJs to beloved Brazilian legends, but the beach will start filling up from the early afternoon. Join in the countdown and prepare to cheer, dance and embrace strangers as the skies fill up with bright smoky lights from hundreds of fireworks being set off.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of the most beautiful sights during New Year’s in Rio is looking over Copacabana beach and seeing a wave of white as nearly all two million visitors dress head to toe in white clothes. The look is striking and comes from a past superstition that white brings prosperity and peace. This fashionable custom remains a firm tradition in the Brazilian New Year’s Eve celebrations. Sometimes, colored underwear is used to represent other values: green for health, yellow for money and red for romance. Be sure to dig out your white summer clothes to get glammed up for a traditional Brazilian New Year’s Eve party.
Jump Seven Waves
That’s if you can get through the crowds to the sea, that is! After the fireworks are over, it is customary to head to the sea and jump seven waves while making seven wishes, a tradition that came from honoring the Goddess of the Ocean, Iemanjá. Legend has it that after jumping the seven waves and leaving the ocean, it’s important to not look back in order to avoid making Iemanjá angry. It’s a wonderful custom to take part in and the atmosphere is vibrant and euphoric, so be sure to head down to the water’s edge and jump the seven waves with hundreds of other people.
Food and eating is an important part of Brazilian social lives, so it’s not surprising that what you eat on New Year’s Eve is considered to reflect your luck and success for the following 12 months. Lentils are supposedly good for bringing luck, but turkey and crab are unlucky, according to Brazilian tradition. There’s good news for party goers — drinking champagne on New Year’s Eve is encouraged, as it will keep you active and full of energy for the year ahead (although these effects may not be felt on New Year’s day!).
Make a Spiritual Offering to Iemanjá, Goddess of the Ocean
Among the hustle and bustle of the a rowdy crowd, relentless samba beats and exploding fireworks, some locals will quietly retreat to the shore’s edge to leave white flowers and float candles out to the sea as an offering to Iemanjá, Goddess of the Ocean, in hope that she will grant their wishes. If the offering is brought back to shore, it’s considered a sign that the wish will not be granted, which is why you may see locals wading out and pushing mini-boats out past the waves. It is a mesmerizing act to watch, as its beauty and simplicity temporarily drowns out the noise of the surrounding celebrations.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.