São Paulo has a population of over 12 million people, 21 million if you count the surrounding metropolitan area. However, even in such a big city, São Paulo can feel lonely and isolating, especially for foreigners. Dating can be a daunting prospect at first, but it doesn’t have to be – you just need to know where to look. Here are a few tips to dating as an expat in São Paulo.
Use your apps
The first thing to know about dating in São Paulo is that your mobile phone is your friend. While there are plenty of bars and clubs where you can go to meet other single people, in São Paulo this is more geared towards casual hookups and one night stands. Dating apps, on the other hand, are indispensable for those looking to meet people in the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While there are other apps available, such as OkCupid!, Happn and Bumble, Tinder is still the undisputed king in São Paulo. Every single Paulistano is on Tinder, whether they admit it or not.
Learn Tinder etiquette
Clearly it’s not enough to just be on Tinder, you have to know how to use it properly. Helpful information to have on your profile includes your height, your interests (favorite TV shows are always a winner), your star sign (São Paulo is full of amateur astrologists), whether you speak Portuguese, and perhaps even an indication of your politics.
Once you’ve got a few matches, kicking things off with a creative and/or funny line is always welcome, though it’s not necessary. Tinder users in São Paulo are usually courteous enough to reply to a simple “Hey, how are you?”, without getting bored and un-matching right away.
Once the conversation is underway, try to keep things interesting. We’ve all answered the same old boring questions about where we work, where we live, time and time again, so try to think outside the box. As a foreigner, you’ll have the added advantage of some ready-made conversation topics. It is a near certainty that you will be asked about why you came to Brazil, why São Paulo, and what you think about the city. Paulistanos find it fascinating to hear an outsider’s views about their home town, so use this to your advantage. A word to the wise, however: don’t be overly negative of São Paulo! Locals love to moan and complain about their city, but often take exception when a foreigner does the same. Accentuate the positives!
Get to the point
While it’s not unknown for people to have stimulating conversations on Tinder, in most cases, drawn-out chats are a turn-off. It’s difficult to be erudite or charming over instant messaging apps, so always make sure the conversation doesn’t drag on longer than it needs to. Politely ask for the person’s number, leave your own number, or better still, try to set up a date.
It is important to note that in general terms, Brazilian people have a tendency not to give straight answers, especially when these answers are negative. If you are asking someone out on a date, follow this up with a specific time and a place. When dating in São Paulo, “Let’s hang out some time”, often means “I don’t really want to hang out, but I want to let you down easily”. This works both ways, if a Paulistano asks you out and gives you a time and place, the interest is real.
Prepare for lateness
Ironically, setting a time is very important, but that doesn’t mean that anyone is going to stick to it. If your date is late (which he/she will be), don’t be offended – everyone does it. With this in mind, schedule your dates a little bit earlier. For example, a Brazilian 8pm translates into around 9pm-9.30pm. While this can be pretty frustrating at first, leading to several wasted hours on your own in a bar, playing on your phone, you’ll soon get used to it. And after some time in São Paulo, you’ll go native and start showing up late to everything anyway.
Be aware of your gringo-ness
On the whole, foreigners are treated quite differently in São Paulo. This can often work to your advantage, as it helps you stand out a bit in a city of tens of millions. You may notice that you are receiving significantly more Tinder matches than your Brazilian friends, for example. It’s not always completely positive though, as you should be aware that people may be interested in you precisely because you’re a gringo, be it your accent, or your foreign appearance. This particularly applies to men, as Brazilian guys are stereotypically seen as being rude and a bit sexist. Granted, this can make it much easier for foreigners to meet people in São Paulo, but it’s not always a great foundation for something more serious and long-term.
Less is often more
Of course, there are no strict rules to dating, whether it be in São Paulo or anywhere else in the world. Everyone expects something different and that’s part of the thrill and excitement. In São Paulo, however, there is a more relaxed attitude towards dates themselves, often being simpler and more informal than people coming from Europe may be used to. Many times, fancy restaurants and chic cocktail bars are not necessary, and sometimes even frowned upon, with the most popular type of date being a laid-back drink in a half-decent bar, a perfect place for a good conversation. Ladies, don’t be taken aback if your date takes you to a boteco, where the beer is cheap, the décor is simple and the tables are sometimes made of plastic. And guys, don’t feel pressured into taking your date to the most expensive restaurant you can think of – less is often more.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.