Locked between four neighbourhoods – Cosme Velho, Catete, Flamengo, and Botafogo – Laranjeiras is often overlooked in favour of more obvious tourist choices. For the curious traveller, Laranjeiras is an authentic neighbourhood with impressive governmental buildings and a thriving nightlife scene. Here’s our complete guide to this unique area.
Tucked under the imposing Corcovado Mountain with the watchful Christ the Redeemer on its summit, Laranjeiras is one of Rio’s oldest neighbourhoods, founded in the 17th century. Its location, built around the Carioca River that emerges from the Tijuca forest before disappearing underground in Cosme Velho, gave the region its former name of Vale do Carioca or Carioca Valley. It was later renamed Laranjeiras, which has no relation to its English translation – orange trees. Instead, it reflects its Portuguese colonial past, coined after the neighbourhood of the same name in Lisbon, Portugal.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Remnants of its aged past remain in the colonial buildings and country-style buildings, which adds to the charm of this historic neighbourhood. Although mostly residential, Laranjeiras has a handful of significant landmarks and impressive political sites. The Palácio Guanabara is the region’s finest example of neo-classical architecture and holds an important role as the seat of the state government of Rio de Janeiro. Curious visitors can witness its monumental status first-hand by joining a building tour or wandering around the manicured gardens lined with gravelled paths and decorated with elegant fountains.
The Palacio das Laranjeiras is the official residence of the state’s governor, its splendour matched by the groomed gardens of Parque Guinle – Guinle Park – the area it calls home. Visitors can enjoy the peace of the park, yet the building remains strictly off-limits. For those in the know, Fluminense FC offers several private swimming pools, including an Olympic-sized one, open to locals and tourists that are looking to keep active on a tight budget. Clued-up visitors go there on the weekends for impromptu fashion and food events, where locals gather to promote homemade gastronomy and boutique fashion brands.
Once settled in Laranjeiras, many locals stay put for years, drawn in by the community spirit and undisturbed sense of calm. Yet the neighbourhood is far from humdrum with a flourishing, hipster nightlife scene. Head to Praça São Salvadoron weekend nights to mingle with a barmy crowd of young and old who are pulled in by the temptation of cold caipirinhas and beers to sip in the hot, humid nights. The outdoor entertainment there is the real crowd-pleaser, though, with live samba bands and the occasional amateur acrobatics with colourful ribbons and hypnotising hula-hoops.
Nestled in an old colonial building, Mercadinho São José das Artes is the favourite haunt of the locals and quickly charms the more inquisitive traveller who manages to find it. The compact area packs in about eight bars under one roof, setting the scene for friendliness, incredible food diversity and plenty of cold beers that add to the happy hour vibe.
While obscured by its four, large neighbours, Laranjeiras’s close accessibility to these other regions is part of its key appeal. Extending from Laranjeiras is Cosme Velho, best known for its train station that takes visitors up to the Christ the Redeemer. Surrounding Laranjeiras is Flamengo, known for its handful of great restaurants and sweeping beachside park, and Botafogo with its upcoming eateries, boutique bars and wine houses that create its modern, hipster vibe and bustling nightlife scene.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.