Visiting the iconic Christ the Redeemer is at the top of most people’s list while visiting Rio de Janeiro. Its symbollic status attracts thousands of eager tourists each year, keen to see the spell-binding views that stretch out over the city. Make sure to get the most out of your visit at the iconic monument by following Culture Trip’s insider tips.
Go At The Right Time
Certain times of the year are best avoided when planning your trip to the Christ statue. The Christmas and Carnival period are the most crowded times as Rio begins to fill up with thousands of additional tourists. Weekends also get busy and you may find yourself jostling for space to see the heavenly views. The best time to go is early in the morning during the week before 8:30 a.m. or late afternoon after 3:30 p.m. when there are few crowds, less heat and better visibility. Many tourists take the seemingly easy route and book with a tour guide, but this isn’t necessary; not only will you end up going at the peak afternoon times, it can be expensive for a trip that is easy to do independently.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Plan Your Route To The Top
There are three options for going up to the Christ.
The first is by taking a taxi to the Paineiras car park that is halfway up the Corcovado mountain, where the Christ is. You can get a taxi directly from your hotel and then take the van up to the entrance into the compound of the statue. At the car park, you can buy a combined ticket for the van and the entrance fee. This is the most straightforward and quickest route up and back down, so it is great for those exercizing a tight schedule. The downside is that this route misses all the beauty of the mountain, and doesn’t give you time to appreciate the exotic and diverse wildlife of the Atlantic forest that covers Corcovado.
The second option is taking the train from the base of Corcovado to the car park and then taking the van to the top. This route is still relatively quick, yet gives a bit more time to see the forest as the train slowly chugs up the mountain and to enjoy the live samba bands inside the train carriages. Combined tickets can be bought at the train station at the base of Corcovado.
The final option is the most time consuming, but definitely the most rewarding. Head to Parque Lage, the former mansion-turned-art-school in Jardim Botanico. Tucked behind this architectural beauty is a hidden path that winds through the forest right up to the top of Corcovado mountain. The hike up is tiring yet doable, and you will be treated to waterfalls, luscious vegetation and the occasional curious monkey and skittering lizards.
Get The Perfect Selfie
Getting photos at the Christ statue comes down to a fine art and is not as simple as it may seem. The best time for photos is early in the morning when the sun is not brightly overhead — there is little to no haze in the skyline and there are less crowds in your picture. If you go during mid-afternoon, the sun will be right behind the Christ, so getting a clear photo of the statue is difficult, not to mention the lack of space from the other thousands of visitors getting in the picture.
Bring Your Own Food
There are cafés and small eateries at the top, but they tend to be overpriced and have long waiting lines. It’s better to go fully prepared with a rucksack of water and some snacks. Not only will it save you money and time, it’s hard to imagine eating a better lunch with the Christ behind you, an exotic jungle just around the corner and a view of Rio that unfolds into an endless stretch of ocean and forest.
By Sarah Brown
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.