Chapada Diamantina is one of Brazil’s most glorious national parks, with plenty of options for hiking and trekking through gorgeous valleys, mountain plateaus, and enchanting caves. Before you go, check out our top 10 tips to make the most of your trip.
Guides are a must.
Chapada Diamantina has plenty of trails to explore, but many of them are unmarked or have an unclear route, so regardless if you speak Portuguese or are an avid hiker, you’ll need help. Avoid the stress of getting lost in the wilderness without cell service and hire a guide. This is especially important for overnight treks. In addition to keeping you from getting lost, your guide can arrange stays in local homes if you’re not the camping type.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Your hotel can help.
It would take months to discover all the trails and excursions in Chapada Diamantina. The variety of excursions available in and around the park is dizzying. Enlist help from hotel (or hostel) staff on reputable companies with multi-lingual guides to narrow down options to what fits time, budget, and desires. Because the park is expansive, you should plan out your trip ahead of time to make sure you have time for what’s on your list. You’ll need at least four days to enjoy Chapada Diamantina, and consider making a stop at the caves with gorgeous blue waters, like Gruta Azul. The caves are formed by underground rivers and slow erosion, and the water get its intense blue color from mineral deposits. To explore these caves you’ll need a guide, so check with your hotel staff for help.
Comparing and negotiating prices is normal.
Tour agencies will certain have their set prices, but Brazilians are often comfortable with bargaining, so it may be worth trying. Note that arranging for a private guide should be more affordable than an agency as there’s no commission fee. Remember to be respectful but firm.
Local towns make convenient home bases.
A few small towns near the park offer travelers what need to start their exploring. The most popular is Lençóis, an old mining town with cobblestone streets and old mountain charm—with a Brazilian twist, of course. Plenty of tour companies set up excursions around the area. Approximately 50 miles (80 kilometers) south is Vale do Capão with another small town called Caete-Açu, which has a slight hippie feel. This spot is closer to the park, making it easier for one-day excursions, but it is a little less structured than Lençóis. Either town is a suitable base for getting out and seeing Chapada Diamantina in all its glory.
The park is larger than some European countries.
The benefits of the park’s enormous size is there’s something to please everyone. The downside: it’s so large you will probably want a car to get around. Hitchhiking is an option, but it’s an unreliable one. Consider going with friends to offset the cost of a rental car and to get a better group deal on tour opportunities. Often single travelers may not be able to arrange a guide just to take one person, so the more the merrier.
You probably won’t see everything.
Chapada Diamantina is a national park of epic proportions. It’s larger than some countries and covers diverse land. It’s home to the largest number of caves and waterfalls in all of Brazil and can leave an explorer feeling lost as to what to see first. Take time to consider what you really want to see, whether its the mountain views or the valley trails. Maybe cave diving is at the top of your list—or a multi-day camping trek. You may not have time to see it all, but whatever you see will be memorable.
Th underground is just as dazzling.
Many of Chapada Diamantina’s best-known views are atop a plateau with sweeping valley view, but the area is also home to an astonishing number of Brazil’s caves, some with super-clear, still waters that can be explored with specialty swimming or diving tours. The deep blue color of the water makes for a #nofilter kind of photo.
Chapada can get pretty cold.
Although Brazil is known for its bronzing beaches, Chapada Diamantina is far from the coast, and temperatures can drop quickly, particularly at higher altitudes. Pack in layers and prepare for sun, rain, and cooler temps. Pack sunscreen, bug spray, and a water bottle for hikes, and most importantly, wear comfortable shoes.
Preparing yourself (and your feet) beforehand is essential.
Speaking of shoes, for those not accustomed to hiking, it’s best to start prepping well before arriving in Chapada Diamatina. Take some long walks or practice hikes while carrying the weight you plan to have on the trails, whether that’s a small backpack or full camping pack, and wear the shoes you plan to bring on the trip to break them in. You’ll be better suited to enjoy all those stunning vistas if you’re not sweating it.
Cell service is unreliable.
Another reason to have a guide is the lack of connectivity. Your guide will be able to make arrangements for you sans cell service, which is essential in the park. Of course, there will be an extraordinary amount of opportunities to take Instagram-worthy shots on a trip to Chapada Diamantina, so definitely bring a camera. But know that cell phone service in the park is spotty at best, so save your Snaps for another time. This is the perfect opportunity to leave your phone on airplane mode for a bit, disconnect, and enjoy nature without distraction.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.