Cascading waterfalls, picturesque plateaus, and statuesque mountains are a few of the reasons to fall in love with Chapada Diamantina in Bahia, Brazil. A maze of trails, from beginner to advanced, taking hikers through valleys and streams, and showing some of the best of Brazil’s natural beauty. Check out our guide to the top trails in this sprawling national park.
Cachoeira da Fumaça
The 1,378-ft (420-meter) plunge of this waterfall is a gorgeous sight to see, but the water evaporates into a fine mist as it reaches the bottom, giving it the name Smoke Waterfall. This 3.7-mile (six-kilometer) hike requires a guide, which can be arranged at any agency in the nearby town of Lençóis.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Morro do Pai Inácio
To get a good look at the Chapada Diamantina valley and all of its plateau glory, take the trail to Morro do Pai Inácio, which offers one of the best postcard views in the entire park. The trail is relatively easy to access and is located along the road BR-242, between the towns of Palmeiras and Lençóis. Be prepared for some inclines and steep hills and about a four- to five-hour hike each way.
Gruta do Lapão
For some mystical cave views, head to Gruta do Lapão, and take a car from nearby Lençóis to make things easier. The moderately difficult trail has a few challenging spots, but the reward is a beautiful view of a quartzite cave. While there, don’t forget to turn off your flashlight to experience the cave in total darkness—even if just for a few moments—for an unforgettable experience.
Cachoeira do Sossêgo
Cachoeira do Sossêgo is at the end of a rather challenging trail, but it is also home to one of the most beautiful waterfalls in all of Chapada. Be prepared for steep inclines and a total distance of approximately five miles (eight kilometers). The trail begins Lençóis and takes about three hours. Guides are recommended because the trail veers off and forks frequently enough to confuse hikers who aren’t familiar with the area. The reward is a swim in the cool, clear waters of the waterfall’s base.
Vale do Patí
This is a long trek that begins and ends in Vale do Capão and can last from four to six days depending on pace and number of detours. See sweeping views of Chapada’s plateaued mountains, and maybe even have stop in a local’s home for a meal or a night’s stay, but this is best done with the help of a local guide.
The Grand Circuit is best for ambitious hikers, as the trek covers over 62 miles (100 kilometers) of the park, and it takes from five to eight days, again depending on the number detours. Arranging for a guide is best here so they can assist in setting up lodging and meals in locals’ homes. Along the way, discover the gorgeous valley plains or venture off a for day trip or two to discover nearby waterfalls.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.