A unique newcomer has found its way into the burgeoning nightlife scene of La Paz, and it’s unlike anything the city has ever seen before. Tucked away on the corner of Calle Jaen in an unremarkable colonial-era edifice, Jallalla is a concept cocktail bar covered in specialized murals from one of Bolivia’s most famous artists and has the distinct objective of spreading Bolivian culture among the late-night drinking crowd.
The brainchild of Antonio Taboada, a Bolivian who recently returned home after 30 years abroad, Jallalla provides exceptional Bolivian art, music, cocktails, and cuisine in one venue, and is a celebration of national traditions through the finer things in life.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Taboada’s repatriation was prompted by the desire to promote his ancestral traditions, which he felt were becoming lost in the modern age. To do so, he got in contact with Bolivia’s most celebrated artist, Roberto Mamani Mamani, and the two set about constructing Jallalla.
Inside, Mamani Mamani’s vibrant and colorful murals contrast heavily with the plain, red walls and hardwood floors, an intentional juxtaposition that draws attention to his surrealist works. Visually, these masterful murals eloquently complement the bar’s distinctly Bolivian flavor. The bar is situated directly above the artist’s renowned La Paz Gallery, so visitors can see the two attractions in one day, like a built-in after-party to a gallery show.
Unlike other establishments in town, Jallalla emphasizes music over mountains of beer. The venue only opens three nights a week, each with a defined theme: Salsa Tuesdays, Jazz Thursdays, and Folkloric Fridays. Some of the best bands from La Paz and beyond come to play, ensuring the quality of the tunes remains high.
“What we want is to create a feeling of a peña [folkloric music venue], where people can come to eat, drink nice singani, and enjoy our musicians,” Mamani Mamani recently told La Razon.
As a pillar of Bolivian culture, food plays an integral role in the Jallalla experience. At lunchtime, well-to-do office workers come in droves to sample a traditional Bolivian almuerzo (set lunch) with a creative gourmet twist. In the evenings, talented Gustu alumni skilfully prepare an à la carte menu based on Bolivian staples such as quinoa and native fish.
To enhance the food menu, a carefully curated cocktail list showcases the best booze in Bolivia. Head mixologist, Gonzalo Guerra, earned his stripes in upmarket watering holes both in Bolivia and abroad. Yet much like Taboada, he returned to his homeland to promote the Bolivian scene.
Only local spirits can be found on the menu, including favorites such as 1825 Vodka, La Republica Gin, Killa Whiskey, and Cocalero, a coca leaf-infused liquor. To accompany these heady spirits, Guerra exclusively uses fresh Bolivian fruit, ranging from regional staples to exotic Amazonian delicacies.
Of all the cocktails on offer, a novel concoction named Luka Quivo garners the most attention. Guerra was inspired to create the drink after being moved by a chance encounter with a La Paz shoeshiner. “Society rejects us, they look at us as if we were going to attack them; however, they attack us,” said the unidentifiable boy.
As an ode to the city’s valiant underclass, Guerra serves his vodka and airampu seed creation inside a specially designed replica of a shoeshine box.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.