Welcome to the official capital of Bolivia; the nation’s colonial centerpiece and historical heart. Sucre showcases a glorious ensemble of whitewashed colonial-era buildings, spectacular rooftop terraces and quaint garden patios. A must-see in Bolivia, its pleasantly warm climate and relaxed small town atmosphere entice many a visitor to stay longer than intended. Read on to discover the top 10 things to see and do in this undeniably charming city.
The former monastery of Convento de San Felipe Nari is the city’s most attractive colonial building and represents everything that visitors love about Sucre. Pass through its sunny courtyard and climb up to the rooftop terrace to see for yourself why this is known as the ‘White City’.
San Felipe Neri, 165 Nicolas Ortiz, Sucre, Bolivia, +591 4645 4333
This fun dinosaur park was built to showcase a selection of well preserved, prehistoric footprints. It also has an extensive selection of life-size fiberglass dinosaur models and a small but informative museum. The ‘Dino-Bus’ takes tourists to the park from Plaza 25 de Mayo at 12PM and 1PM.
Parque Cretácico, Sucre, Bolivia, +591 4643 5240
Sucre is the most popular place to learn Spanish in South America for its inexpensive classes and laid back atmosphere. The city boasts a huge number of Spanish schools to choose from and plenty of friendly locals with whom to practice. Group classes start from as little as BOB35 (USD$5) per hour.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sucre’s main plaza is arguably the most beautiful in Bolivia. Shaded by huge leafy trees and surrounded by elegant colonial buildings, this relaxing plaza features a delightful assortment of fountains and monuments. A smattering of trendy restaurants and cafés line its perimeter.
Located right on the main plaza, this museum pays homage to the most important moment in Bolivia’s colonial history. It was here in 1825 that Bolivia declared its independence, and the original document is proudly on display. Numerous other exhibits related to the struggle for independence can be found throughout the museum.
Casa de la Libertad, Plaza 25 de Mayo, Sucre, Bolivia, +591 4645 4200
Believe it or not, a prince and a princess once lived in a fairytale pink castle just a short drive from the city center. The castle, which would be more at home in Europe than Bolivia, was constructed by a wealthy mining couple who were later given their titles by the Pope as a reward for extensive charity work.
Sucre’s largest park is also its most pleasant. This big open space surrounded by imposing colonial buildings is a favorite meeting place for enamored locals. Its centerpiece is a climbable replica of the Eiffel Tower, and during the evening a sizable fountain puts on an aquatic show choreographed to lights and music.
In South America, it’s customary to stack graves on top of each other rather than bury the deceased underground. This tradition can be observed in Sucre’s General Cemetery, which features a maze of horizontal graves scattered throughout a pristine garden.
Cementerio General, Sucre, Bolivia, +591 4643 5240
Recoleta is an attractive little plaza on a hill overlooking the city. An easy walk from downtown, the plaza is a popular afternoon hangout spot for local youths. Featuring a museum and church with various events throughout the year, its highlight is actually the Mirador Café, which serves tasty food and coffee with wonderful views.
Mirador Café, 1 Dalence, Sucre, Bolivia, +591 4643 3038
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.