Are you a food connoisseur on a mission to sample the delights of South America? Well, once you’ve eaten your way through the upscale restaurants of Lima, why not make your way to Bolivia for some contemporary Andean cuisine? The foodie scene is just starting to build up steam in Bolivia so now is the perfect time to visit. Here are the best spots from all corners of the country.
La Paz is leading the way in Bolivia’s foodie scene with a plethora of prestigious restaurants popping up at breakneck speed. It all started in 2014 with the arrival of Gustu, the brainchild of renowned Danish chef Claus Meyer (of Noma fame). Since then, Ali Pacha has been keeping the vegans happy while a number of other fine establishments have made their culinary mark on the city as well.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As Bolivia’s biggest and most affluent city, it should come as no surprise the metropolis of Santa Cruz del Sierra is brimming with fine places to eat. Give the lowland specialties at Casa del Camba a try or opt for some upscale Nikkei at the stylish Sach’a Rest. Neither of those appeal? There are hundreds of other exceptional options in the city as well.
A post shared by Sach’a Rest (@sacha_rest) on Mar 1, 2018 at 4:25pm PST
Serious food connoisseurs would be mad to miss Cochabamba, a midsized city at the heart of Bolivian gastronomy. A smattering of high-end eateries can be found throughout town, although it’s homecooked national cuisine which really earns the city its stripes. Just bear in mind that Cochabambinos are renowned for devouring ginormous portions so don’t come here expecting to lose any weight.
You could be forgiven for thinking the relaxed Mediterranean style city of Tarija feels more Argentine than Bolivian. After all, Argentine influence is rife in this sunny colonial town, not least for the region’s abundance of fine wine. Of course, quality red meat has also made its way across the border, meaning Tarija is awash with delectable steak. Check out El Fogon del Gringo for a traditional bife de chorizo or Gattopardo for beef with a bit of European flair.
A post shared by Rolando Schrupp (@rolandoschrupp) on Jan 23, 2018 at 3:09pm PST
Bolivia’s official capital has it’s fair share of fine restaurants, mostly due to the steady stream of tourists passing through the whitewashed city. Siete Lunas in the local market serves up some outrageously tasty choripans while La Taverne is renowned for their sophisticated French-fusion fare. If you’re more interested in the atmosphere, opt for the Mirador Cafe which offers unrivaled city views.
A well-heeled expat population has brought life to this quaint Bolivian village. And with wealthy foreigners comes tasty restaurants, plenty of which can be found around town. Check out La Cocina for some simple yet divine takeaway or the upmarket El Pueblo Hotel Resort for an exquisite fine dining experience.
Most of the restaurants around Lake Titicaca are cookie-cutter establishments, serving up uninspiring interpretations of predictable traveler fare. That is, of course, aside from the freshly caught trout. Plucked from the icy waters each day, these pink fleshy morsels taste as good here as anywhere else in the world. And they’re ridiculously cheap to boot!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.