La Paz has undergone something of a cultural revolution in recent years, with a number of hipster cafés and boutique hotels finding success in the city. Gustu led the charge in redefining the high-end culinary scene in 2012 by offering a delectable menu based entirely on native produce, which earned it a spot among Latin America’s Top 50 Restaurants. But the talk of the town in 2017 is Ali Pacha, a plant-based dining experience that is taking the city by storm.
Since opening its doors in March 2016, Ali Pacha’s creative degustation menu has earned the praise of local foodies, curious tourists and, more recently, the international fine dining community. The brainchild of head chef Sebastián Quiroga and co-owner Camila Borda, the restaurant aims to provide high quality cuisine in a contemporary setting from the heart of La Paz’ historical center.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This choice of location is an interesting point of difference. Almost all of La Paz’ top end restaurants are situated in the wealthy southern district, or the more bohemian Sopocachi neighborhood. Ali Pacha, on the other hand, is wedged in among an array of unremarkable fast-food takeaways who serve greasy fried chicken at just a few dollars a pop. This unorthodox decision was intentional, though, as one of the restaurant’s primary goals is to revitalize the chaotic and somewhat downtrodden city center.
This approach is immediately evident upon stepping through the restaurant doors. Featuring exposed brick walls, polished wooden rafters and geometric patterned tiling, this modern yet unpretentious interior contrasts sharply with other more meager offerings in the area. Spacious and contemporary, this Spanish-inspired ambiance is a hit with well-heeled businessmen, couples looking for romance, and international tourists alike.
Meaning “universe of plants” in the native Aymara language, Ali Pacha serves a strictly vegan menu made from exotic Bolivian ingredients. The restaurant aims to become the benchmark of vegan haute cuisine in Bolivia by taking full advantage of the abundance of plants the country has to offer and promoting exciting new flavor combinations from relatively unknown species. Upon sampling their creative menu and divine cocktails, there is little doubt the team are on the right track.
Ali Pacha also has a focus on social and natural awareness, a trait Quiroga may have picked up from his time working for rival Gustu. The restaurant sources all its ingredients from within the country, most of which are acquired from micro producers farming the orchards of nearby Chicani. This low impact, sustainable approach is designed to reduce food miles and provide meaningful employment to small-scale farming communities.
Although the menu is strictly vegan, the restaurant aims to attract customers who may simply be curious to try a new kind of dining experience. With a recent nomination for the World Luxury Restaurant Awards, it seems this relative newcomer to the La Paz dining scene is already destined for greatness.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.