Right in the heart of Villa Crespo, a nondescript facade appears dull and uninviting. It’s nearly impossible to guess that when the sun goes down, a few feet away from the door, an electronic symphony of beeping sounds rises in crescendo. Slowly lighting up, the Arcade Club Social comes to life, a refreshing newcomer on Buenos Aires’ nightlife scene.
In the last couple years, Buenos Aires has seen a surge in arcade bars. These places attempt to capture the ’80s scene of video games as a social experience. With craft beer and excellent food, arcade bars have become a staple of the city’s millennial crowd, who can spend many nights a week trying to break that high score on Street Fighter or even Wonder Boy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Although in retrospect it may seem obvious to want a night spot devoted to the early-’80s golden age of arcade video games, Arcade Social Club only opened its doors in early 2017—and was the first of its kind in Buenos Aires. It’s placed at an undisclosed location, as the owners prefer to keep the whereabouts hidden, with only word-of-mouth directions, drawing inspiration from the Prohibition-era speakeasy bars. Part of the game is to find the address online or through someone that has been there before.
Inside Arcade Social Club, visitors can find a rich selection of classic video games—from Pac-Man, Tetris, Mortal Kombat, or The Simpsons, all the way to Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker—selected by Emi Mihovilcevic and Anita Etcheto, its founders. They wanted to bring back the long-gone underground culture of adult gaming. The club regularly hosts indie game developers showcasing their creations, such as Videogamo’s DOBOTONE, a local award-winning five-player video game console specially designed for parties.
Just over a year after Arcade Club Social opened, a new venue was getting ready as well. With an exquisite mix of craft-beer options, video game lore, and hipster aesthetics, Bar El Destello opened in early 2018. Under the glowing neon light projected in the shape of a space invader, friends can share a wide variety of locally brewed beers while the arcade machines happily beep and light up as the players insert their coins. With tall glasses of beer sitting within hand’s reach, the scene looks as if taken from an ’80s movie—one where, somehow, people have smartphones.
According to Santiago Idelson, one of its owners, “The inspiration behind the bar came from recreating the mystique and essence from arcade bars featured in movies such as Robocop, Karate Kid, or Back to the Future. Neon lights, weird haircuts, and arcade machines lining the walls, that strangely recall the Mos Eisley Cantina from Star Wars. In sum: movies, music, arcades, drinks, and great food.”
It seems the bar opened right in the midst of an ’80s revival trend invigorated by films and series such as Stranger Things, It, and Ready Player One, which the city’s arcade lovers gladly welcomed. Nostalgia can make a good business model even better.
In an attempt to further excite the bar’s crowd, Idelson and his partners organized a series of social events at El Destello. Starting with a showcase of actors dressed up as Mortal Kombat characters, the bar then upped the ante by organizing a series of exhibitions. The first one was devoted to the “San Junipero” episode of Black Mirror, a fan favorite that delighted the audience with seemingly endless references to the arcade culture of yesteryear. Another exhibition focused on the making of NAVE, another VIDEOGAMO creation, a survival space-shooter that has no existing copies anywhere on Earth. Both events were so well received that they are already working on the next.
“In the long run, we aim to become a venue of cultural relevance, while maintaining a coherent overarching theme,” says Idelson, who’s had curatorial experience.
Although similar places in the U.S. (such as “barcades”) are marketed toward heavy users, in Buenos Aires these bars aspire to attract an entire generation that grew up playing with arcade machines, welcoming both heavy and casual users to feel at home again. A few decades ago, while the golden age of arcade video games started to fade in the north, in Argentina it was becoming a staple of summertime, with beeping machines of joy present in every beach town on the Atlantic Coast. Back then, these arcade machines were known as fichines, in reference to the fichas (coins) needed to make them work. Only to disappear once again a decade later, the arcades offered a unique atmosphere—and it’s exactly this spirit that these bares de fichines are aiming to capture.
As to which is his favorite game, Idelson without hesitation mentions Double Dragon, which he first encountered as a teenager in the ’80s when visiting a small town on the Atlantic Coast. Its universe of gang members and baseball bats, as fierce as it looked, was no match for the two brothers making their way by punching and kicking. “Despite the pixelated graphics, I lived it as an adrenaline-fueled experience reminiscent of Walter Hill’s The Warriors. It’s interesting to contrast, more than 30 years later, the level of risk and exploration that the game embodied with the hyper-audiovisual games of today, and how it hasn’t lost a speck of its fun.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.