Most of us can go an entire lifetime without playing polo. For the majority of the public, it is not even on our radar as a potential sport, due to the upper-class nature and exclusivity of polo. Only the very rich have the money and resources to be able to actively play polo, but if you head to a certain South American city, you too can wield the polo mallet and live out your polo fantasy. We find out more about polo days in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The world of polo is a glamorous one. Nicknamed the Sport of Kings, polo is generally played by the upper classes because of the resources it takes to own many horses that can be swapped out as they tire from the intensity of the game, and the fact that professional polo players don’t earn many winnings from playing their chosen game. All this contributes to polo being something of an elusive sport for us mere mortals, but in Buenos Aires, which is known as the mecca of polo because it has the largest number of 10-handicap players (the highest calibre of polo player), you too can become a polo player for a day. Located just an hour or so outside the Argentine capital, you will find many estancias, or ranches, that allow travelers to come and indulge in a polo day. On this outing you will be shown the ropes by a professional polo player. They will instruct you in the basics of horsemanship, and how to hit the tiny ball with a very long stick that has a mallet at the end of it. It is trickier than you think, especially if you have no experience with horses.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
However, it is a genuinely fun day out. Mounting a horse can be intimidating given their size and power, but there is no feeling quite like being able to bend a huge animal to your will. Once you have mastered maneuvering the horse, you will be told how to best approach hitting the ball. This can seem like quite a daunting task from your perch atop the horse, but you will be accompanied by the on-site professional who will coach you through the steps necessary to be able to at least give the ball a few decent whacks. Once you have completed a few hours of polo training, you will retire to the main house of the estancia to be treated to a delicious asado, a typical Argentine barbecue where you can replenish your energy with tasty cuts of mouthwatering meat. You can even wash your meal down with some local Malbec, the perfect wine to accompany the richness of the meat.
After you satisfy your cravings for Argentine meat at lunchtime, you can head over to the polo field located on the estancia to check out a professional polo game in the flesh. You will be amazed at the speed, precision and elegance of the sport as you appreciate it up close. Considering you were just on a horse only a few hours before trying your hand at polo, no doubt you will be impressed at the skill employed by the professional players and you will be able to acknowledge the talent and training it takes to get to that level. In the evening, the estancia will arrange for you to be taken back into the capital. One of the best and most popular polo days is operated by Puesto Viejo, a beautiful ranch located just an hour and a half outside of the city centre.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.