Mendoza is a city known not only for being the capital of Argentina’s wine producing region, but also for being immaculately maintained, earning it the reputation of the prettiest city in Argentina. It has many lush parks and plazas, and we pull together a list of the best for you to enjoy on your visit to Mendoza city.
The city’s main square, Plaza Independencia, was created after a devastating earthquake totalled the city in the 1800s. The city centre was moved and a new central square was created – Plaza Independencia – which is surrounded by a number of smaller squares and adjoining parks. Full of a variety of trees, flowers, and shrubs, Plaza Independencia also has a large, linear fountain featuring a sculpted interpretation of the Argentine flag.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Plaza Mathus Hoyos
This linear park was recently completely renovated, and now offers citizens a wealth of places in which to enjoy the outdoors. There are lots of new play areas for children, walking paths, and outdoor exercise areas with gym equipment. It is perfect for children, families, and elderly people who are looking to get out and take a quiet walk in some pretty surroundings.
Plaza San Martín
Named after Argentine general and liberator José de San Martín, this square has a big statue atop a giant undulating rock covered in plaques commemorating its namesake. Plaza San Martín is decidedly South American, with plenty of palm trees and purple jacarandas to take some shade under if you’re out for a stroll in the summer heat.
This pretty square is known for its stunning fountain, an elaborate offering that was crafted from travertine marble and features the sculpture of two women, one older that represents Spain, and a younger woman who represents Argentina. The decorative plinth consists of seven scenes realised in painted ceramic, and depicts the foundation of the city of Mendoza, the discovery of America, and missionaries, among others.
One of the four parks around Plaza Independencia, Plaza Italia is a little slice of Italy in the middle of Mendoza. Complete with an imposing Romulus and Remus statue in marble, colonnades, a pretty fountain covered in blue and white tiles, and plenty of trees, Plaza Italia is a homage to Argentina’s Italian community.
Located on the site of the old General San Martín train station and tracks, this park covers 14 hectares and has over 1,200 trees. It offers something of a green lung to the city’s inhabitants, being that it is located close to many residential areas and has a duck pond, and a grassy amphitheatre for people to relax on. It is popular with Mendocinos who like to be active outdoors, and you will see many people coming here to workout or do sports.
Plaza Chile is a homage to Argentina’s western neighbour, and its eclectic central fountain is tiled with a rendition of the Chilean flag and painted in red, white, and blue, with a star in the middle. Adorned with more palm trees and hanging willows, Plaza Chile’s unique selling point is that is has a whopping 71 benches installed for visitors to relax on and enjoy the Mendoza sunshine.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.