Latin America is full of lore and legend, and Argentina is no exception. Many are the myths of saints and sinners, from gaucho bandits to female freedom fighters, but one of the biggest tales of folkloric legend comes from the north west of Argentina in San Juan. Let’s take a look at the miracle of La Difunta Correa, Argentina‘s most revered saint.
The story is one of love and loss, as many good stories are. In the mid-1800s, a local man named Baudilio Bustos from the mountainous San Juan province near the Argentine border with Chile, was forced to join the army to participate in the nation’s civil wars. His wife, Maria Antonia Deolinda Correa, was devastated at his departure, and upon hearing that he had been taken ill and abandoned by his comrades, set off on a perilous journey across the sierras to find him.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
But she was not alone. With her she took their child, who was still a baby, and they followed the path the military men had taken, but the journey proved to be too much, and she died atop a hill outside of the city.
A legend is born
A few days later some gauchos who were herding cattle across the desert landscape came across Correa’s body, and to their amazement, her baby was still alive and suckling at her breast. And so began the legend of La Difunta, or ‘the deceased’, Correa.
The men buried Deolinda in Vallecito, and brought the tale back with them to their town. The story of the legend spread by word of mouth, and many ranchers who passed by the grave said prayers to La Difunta Correa, and many were deemed to have been heard.
One particular gaucho, Pedro Flavio Zeballos, passed the tomb and prayed for all his lost cows to be found, and when he eventually came upon a full herd of his cows, he resolved to build a chapel on the site. After selling the cattle in Chile and presumably spreading the word about the miracle, he returned to Vallecito and built a humble structure above her grave. This became the deal from then on: ask La Difunta Correa to grant you something in exchange for a promise.
A veritable shrine has grown up around the chapel of La Difunta Correa where pilgrims to go visit her grave, and even a small village that sells souvenirs and trinkets related to the folkloric saint. Although Correa is not officially recognised by the Catholic church, she has become something of a saint of the people, especially among lower, rural classes who flock to the shrine to bring gifts in return for her protection.
In fact, so varied and many are the gifts that other chapels for particular requests have sprung up around the site, adorned with unusual items such as plastic bottles or car licence plates, depending on the request. Easter is a particularly busy time, when people arrive in droves to celebrate the National Truck Driver Festival. Now there are more than 30 chapels in the vicinity, a testament to how much La Difunta Correa is adored by the people in Argentina.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.