The Argentine capital of Buenos Aires is as famous for its theatres as it is for its bookshops. From converted theatres to gilded opera houses, Buenos Aires is rife with incredible theatres that provide the perfect backdrops for the performances they host.
Buenos Aires’ opera house is not only the city’s most important theatre, but also one of its most important buildings. Hailing from the Argentine capital’s golden era, the building is a testament to the incredible European-style architecture that gave Buenos Aires its nickname, ‘the Paris of South America’. It’s lauded as one of the world’s most influential theatres and opera houses, and visitors can take a guided tour of the building, where its grandeur will be revealed in all its glory.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Teatro Gran Rex
This famous Buenos Aires theatre and venue was completed in 1937 and was an architectural icon of the era, built in the rationalist style by the same person who designed the city’s famous landmark, the Obelisco. Gran Rex’s main auditorium is inspired by Radio City Music Hall in New York, and the entire venue can accommodate 3,262 people. It is home to live-music performances, stage plays and events. Check out the listings here to see what’s on.
This theatre is one of the best places to see live music in Buenos Aires. Although the old theatre set-up with the upstairs gallery can mean that there is a push towards the front to get out from under the first-floor roof, there is always enough space to enjoy the show. Located in Colegiales, Vorterix has a 1,500 -person capacity and regularly hosts some of the best international acts that make their way down to the Argentine capital, as well as local favourites.
El Ateneo Grand Splendid
This former theatre has been converted into Buenos Aires best-loved bookshop, El Ateneo Grand Splendid. A popular haunt with tourists and locals alike, El Ateneo blends two of Argentina’s favourite pastimes: reading and theatre. People come to admire the building, and to peruse the shelves that line the old theatre boxes, before taking a seat in one of the reading nooks or eating lunch in the café located on the old theatre stage.
Teatro Taller del Angel
This quaint theatre in the Almagro neighbourhood is a firm favourite with those who frequent independent theatre performances. The building itself is quintessential Buenos Aires, and the interiors are dripping with memorabilia and quirky decorations. It also doubles as a theatre workshop and cultural centre, and people can sign up for yoga classes, acting classes or clown workshops.
One of the hotspots for alternative theatre in Buenos Aires is La Mueca, in the Almagro neighbourhood. Dance and theatre performances take place at the weekends in this 140-seater theatre, and the setting is intimate yet dynamic. The stage transforms depending on the production, and is as effective with a black backdrop or an elaborate stage set.
Another favourite with amateur theatre groups and independent and alternative productions is Palermo Hollywood’s Teatro Chacarerean. Located in a former carpenter’s warehouse, the space has been transformed into a purpose-built theatre and bar, and hosts a variety of theatrical, musical and cinematic performances.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.