Buenos Aires is a relatively flat city, lying at just 25 metres above sea level, so there aren’t many places high enough to get a full view of the sunset. However, there are plenty of parks, open spaces and wide avenues that frame spectacular views of Buenos Aires‘ famous sunsets. Here are just a few.
Bosques de Palermo
The stretch of parks that separate the Palermo neighbourhood from the river is one of the best places to see the sunset, mainly because of the huge variety of spots to choose from. If you want an Instagram-friendly vista, head to the Planetario, where you can see the cosmic structure silhouetted against the sky as the sun goes down, or take a stroll to the lake to see the sun setting between the waving fronds of the palm trees. Alternatively, get your exercise on and run along the track that circles the lake and chase the suns as it dips behind the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Head out to the Costanera Norte, or the stretch of boardwalk that runs beside the river, to see the skyline of Buenos Aires framed by the setting sun. As the sun goes down behind the city, you will see the outline of the towers that create Buenos Aires‘ distinctive cityscape, and if you’re lucky, you might see some airplanes streaking across the sky as it turns different shades of pink, orange and red.
The city’s defining monument is a great place to watch the sun go down, as the width of the 17-lane 9 de Julio avenue gives ample space for the Obelisco to shine in all its glory as the sun dips toward the horizon. Watch the sun glint off this soaring pillar and see it obscure into darkness as its shape stands in shadow against the multi-coloured sky behind. This view is particularly impressive, especially with the sights and sounds of downtown Buenos Aires buzzing all around you.
The port neighbourhood of La Boca is another great place to watch the sunset. There are plenty of landmark architectural features standing out against the fading backdrop of the sky, in particular the ferry bridge offset by the water of the Riachuelo river below. A great vantage point is from the terrace of the PROA art museum near Caminito, and this is also a great opportunity to explore the historic La Boca area. However, be sure to explore before the sun goes down and leave soon after it sets – La Boca is not the safest place to hang around after dark.
If you want to watch the sunset in the company of a good cocktail and swanky surroundings, head to the SKY Bar on the 13th floor of the Hotel Pulitzer near the main square of the Plaza de Mayo in downtown Buenos Aires. Go for a drink in the evening with the after-work crowd and watch the sunset from one of the highest rooftop bars in the city. There is also a DJ spinning soul music to create the perfect soundtrack to your sunset experience.
Head down to the new port, Puerto Madero, to see the sunset with the most sophisticated set in the city. Haunt of diplomats, politicians and the rich and famous, Puerto Madero has many wonderful spots where you can enjoy the sunset, including the terrace at the Faena hotel, designed by Philippe Starck. If you aren’t flash enough to hit one of the hotels, head down to the nearby Reserva Ecologica where you can see the sun going down behind the glass skyscrapers and apartment blocks that reflect the sun and create a unique vista back towards the city.
Bridge at Figueroa Alcorta
Standing on the bridge that crosses Figueroa Alcorta avenue in the evening is one of the quintessential Buenos Aires viewpoints. With the imposing Neoclassical building of the University of Buenos Aires law faculty and the giant metal bloom of the Floralis Genérica both in sight, watch the sun set on axis with the stream of cars whose headlights blink red and white in the shadow of the setting sun.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.