La Boca is widely known for two things. One: the brightly-hued houses along the Caminito, a pedestrian alley full of tango dancers and souvenir shops. And two: la Bombonera, the home stadium of legendary fútbol team Boca Juniors. Beyond the touristy facade, though, La Boca is home to several notable restaurants, from fine dining to ‘hole-in-the-wall’ spots reflecting the neighborhood’s working-class heritage. A brief note on safety: take a taxi to La Boca and back, particularly at night, and keep an eye on wallets and valuables.
Many residents of La Boca are of Genoan descent, and this is evident in the fare at Il Matterello, an Italian cantina serving up delicious renditions of Italian classics from ravioli to tiramisu. It’s a favorite with locals, and although tourists to the neighborhood have started to discover it as well, the prices remain reasonable.
Address & telephone number: Il Matterello, Martín Rodriguez 517, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 4307-0529
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
El Rincon Salteño
Hit up this casual, locals-only spot for a laid-back atmosphere and unbeatable prices. Grab a choripán, or Argentina’s answer to a hot dog, loaded with chimichurri sauce. El Rincon Salteño’s low-key sense of hospitality is enough to make any tourist feel like a local.
Address & telephone number: El Rincon Salteño, Av. Martín Garcia 302, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 4307-6136
If you stray a bit off the beaten tourist track in La Boca— using caution, of course— you’ll be rewarded with the most authentic dining experience the neighborhood has to offer. Settle down at a table with a checkered tablecloth at Nonno Bachicha, and peruse the menu of mouthwatering pasta dishes, many of which are vegetarian, as well as an assortment of seafood including eel, octopus, and squid. Bring cash and a big appetite.
Address & telephone number: Nonno Bachicha, W. Villafane 396, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 4361-1816
Heaped plates of homemade pasta, cheap beer, and outdoor seating— what could be better? El Rinconcito’s small size (only eight indoor tables) makes it a friendly, cozy place. When it gets crowded at lunchtime, it’s the perfect spot for people-watching.
Address & telephone number: El Rinconcito, Del Valle Iberlucea 1166, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 4302-6642
This family-owned pizzeria claims the title of having invented the fugazza con queso, a delicious marriage of focaccia-esque bread and mozzarella. Boasting seating for 500, Banchero attracts diners from all over the city and beyond. Try some of their renowned pizza with any number of tasty toppings, or check out the specials.
Address & telephone number: Banchero, Suarez 396, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 4301-1406
Located in a converted warehouse in the heart of La Boca, step inside Che Tango and be surprised by what you find. If you’re willing to splash some cash, you can watch professional tango dancing accompanied by a full tango orchestra as you enjoy a lavish three course meal. From steaks to vegetarian options, there is something on the menu for everyone— and for an extra sum, you can pay for the VIP option, which consists of more varied menu choices, the best seats in the house, and champagne.
Price: Fine dining
Address & telephone number: Che Tango, Pinzon 60, Buenos Aires, Argentina, +54 4361-4526
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.