Any beginner’s guide to public transportation in Buenos Aires points out the need for a SUBE card to get around. The system was first introduced in 2009, and until then commuters and tourists alike needed to hoard coins to pay for the bus. The SUBE system proved to be beneficial for everyone, including the environment, but no one predicted it would spark generosity like it did. If you forget to top up your SUBE card, a local will always have your back – and they won’t even allow you to repay them.
Until 2009, paying for a bus trip could be one of the most frustrating and angst-inducing experiences in Buenos Aires. Even though a trip on a colectivo (“bus”) was only 1.5 pesos (USD $0.40), getting the coins could prove to be almost impossible. Facing a shortage, banks only exchanged 10 pesos in coins per day, and corner stores hoarded coins as if they were indispensable for survival. Getting someone to exchange coins for bills was a dead-end road.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This all changed when the SUBE system (an acronym that translates as “Unified Electronic Ticket System”) was introduced in 2009 and the coins were slowly phased out. Even though both systems coexisted until 2015, now only the SUBE system prevails. However, this turned into a new problem for public transportation users: the only way to get around is to use the SUBE card. This means that when a user runs out of credit or doesn’t have a card, it’s coinmaggedon all over again.
For a while it was believed that lending the SUBE card to other users was illegal, due to social benefit systems linked to the identity of card holders and the recently inaugurated system that allows passengers to use multi-modal transport services. This created a prohibition era sort of camaraderie, where people paid for other less fortunate passengers’ tickets almost in secret so the driver wouldn’t notice. The truth is – as was eventually pointed out by the government transport office – that other than in some special cases, there’s no risk in offering to pay for someone else’s trip.
While it’s possible to see samaritan acts of charity in any city, the natural act of giving metro rides is so second-nature in Argentina that it’s almost an unspoken part of the system – and one that most tourists wouldn’t necessarily realize.
What’s most shocking about this ticket-paying folklore is that most porteños will reject a payment in cash after offering to pay for a stranger’s trip. Everyone in Buenos Aires knows that running out of credit on their SUBE card or forgetting it at home is something that could eventually happen to them as well. Offering to give the gift of a trip is nothing more than trusting that, when the moment comes, someone will be there for them as well – like a pay-it-forward sort of karma. What no one could have anticipated is that a change in the transport system would reinvigorate the sense that a little empathy can go a long way in saving someone else’s day. And if you find yourself in this situation, just remember, as a visitor in a hospitable environment, to return the favor whenever you can.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.