Had enough Tango music, steak and red wine? Ready for something new? Perfect, because these ideas for things to do in Argentina will blow your mind.
Wander Through a Tim Burton-Esque Medieval Village
Campanópolis is a surreal mock Medieval village that’s made mostly out of salvaged materials. Tim Burton fans will love this village’s other-worldly look. The project is the brainchild of millionaire Antonio Campana, who didn’t let his non-architecture background stop him from pursuing his dream after being diagnosed with cancer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Follow Dino Footprints
Located just outside the Ernesto Bachmann Museum in Villa El Chocón, 80 kilometers from the Southern City of Neuquén, visitors can see dinosaur footprints preserved in the original site in an area near the museum called Balneario Municipal. The museum itself also offers a “be a paleontologist for a day” kids program for a small fee.
Visit Argentina’s “Atlantis”
You won’t need snorkeling gear for this one, as it’s not underwater anymore — but Villa Epecuén was underwater for decades. Now that waters have started to recede, it’s a trippy ghost city ripe for wanderers. Once a prosperous spa town, Villa Epecuén flooded over thirty years ago and remained underwater for about 25 years. The result makes for some pretty apocryphal ruins — think half-eroded buildings and petrified trees. Tunnel under Buenos Aires
The Jesuits built a network of tunnels underneath Buenos Aires called the Manzana de las Luces, or “Block of the Lights.” It’s still unclear why the tunnels were built and exactly what their function was. What we do know, however, is that they’re fun to explore.
See a Forest Shaped Like a Guitar
This one’s for the romantics. Once upon a time there was a woman whose dream was to design a giant guitar, made entirely from trees that you could see from the sky. Tragically, she died a sudden death, so her husband made her dream his own. That’s how the Guitar Forest was born. This forest is in the middle of The Pampas, so it may be easier to visit virtually: Google Earth coordinates are -33.867865, -63.988014.
Try to Find The Holy Grail
Yes, allegedly The Holy Grail is in Patagonia, so channel your inner Indiana Jones! Who knows what the truth is, but rumor has it the Nazis were poking around in various areas of Argentina looking for relics. The story goes that the Templar Knights buried The Holy Grail in an underground site, which Nazis believed was located in the Somuncurá Plateau. Even if you don’t find it, this area has a large natural reserve that you can do other Indiana Jones-like activities in — hiking, horseback riding and the like.
Draw Naked People
Dust off, or, if needed, buy a sketchbook so you can try your hand at drawing nude models; while listening to live jazz at the popular Jam de Dibujo, or Drawing Jam, in Buenos Aires (disclaimer: the author occasionally works at the event). Populated by a mix of professional artists, art professors, art students, and a sprinkling of hipsters, it always makes for an artistically inspired evening. When it comes to art, the city is hopping — check out these other great spots.
Play with Penguins
Last but not least, PENGUINS! Who doesn’t love penguins? Head down to Ushuaia, the “end of the world” and grab your cutie fix with a penguin colony. Of course, there’s a lot of other amazing things to see and do in Ushuaia, but penguins are, well, pretty unusual. The program also includes waterfalls, and — it being Patagonia — plenty of magnificent views.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.