Buenos Aires has quite the fashion scene. Inspired by the city’s vibrant creative life, the “ Argentine look” is made all the more original by the country’s lack of international fashion chains. Scarcity is the mother of invention, as they say, and Argentine fashionistas have taken it to heart. Here are some of the leading names in the country’s fashion scene.
Mila Kartei offers something new in the way of female apparel. As she puts it on her website, her work “inquires into the whims, the whispers and the desires of women.” Intrigued? You can visit her studio in Belgrano Mondays through Fridays, 3.00 p.m.–8.00 p.m., and Saturdays, 12.00 p.m.–4.00 p.m.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“To create, to experiment, to search for unusual materials, to investigate forms, to abandon preconceived ideas about what clothes should look like… I have always used different, unexpected materials, such as rubber threads, metal pieces found in old hardware stores or resin stones, guided by the idea of combining new textures on the same color. I guess deep inside I was trying to weave, dye or sew, seeking for an unknown end, while understanding that what matters is the beauty of the trip itself, the search. By the end, the finished garment is no longer mine but for whoever will wear it in the future.”
“In this way, they take on a dream world of fantasy, warm and loving, which in turn becomes the alma mater of Quiero June, where each pair of shoes is made with great attention to detail from start to finish in order to meet the highest quality standards.”
Shoe company June Handmade Shoes is the brainchild of Argentine designer Silvana Barrios, who stumbled across shoe-making almost by accident when she signed up for a course in the craft out of sheer curiosity five years ago. The result was an innovative shoe company offering a variety of styles, both formal and informal. According to her website, their design is inspired by a combination of Barrios’ travels, childhood memories and personal style. The site goes on to say (translated from the Spanish):
June Handmade Shoes is opening a showroom in Miami. Their Buenos Aires store is located in Palermo.
Laguna is a small Argentine company that makes stylish, affordably-priced weather-resistant backpacks and fanciful wallets. You can put in custom orders or view their products here. Founded in 2015, Laguna also put in a regular showing at the Feria San Telmo in Buenos Aires on Sundays.
Sustainable and sophisticated is the name of the game for many consumers these days, and Palo Santo’s sunglasses are on point. The boutique, named after the Palo Santo, or “sacred wood” tree native to South America, specializes in hand-carved wood sunglasses and a variety of other wood-framed products. A small company that began as a university project about six years ago, the store is located in Palermo.
Maydi’s woven wonders will leave you spellbound. Made exclusively from organic yarns and natural fibers (such as merino wool from Patagonia), the young Argentine company is taking the loom into high fashion. “Weaving loom is one of the oldest cultural traditions of Aboriginal peoples, and a clear statement of the importance of women as transmitters of life and culture in society,” the company states on its Facebook page. Maydi is fair trade and works with local Argentine artists. The company’s products are carried by a half-dozen stores in Buenos Aires as well as in France and New Zealand. Find stockists here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.