With a bounty of restaurants serving locally sourced seasonal cuisine and acres of sun-soaked vineyards criss-crossed with cycling trails, a trip to Hastings, New Zealand, is a lesson in pure indulgence. So why not extend the extravagance to your accommodation? Take your pick of these luxury Hastings hotels – all bookable with Culture Trip – designed with hungry hedonists in mind.
With just 12 elegant rooms, a sauna, spa and outdoor swimming pool, this boutique hotel on the eastern edge of Hastings is made for indulgence. Naturally, the food is classy too – think high tea and five-course fine dining – but make sure you save time (and room) for a meal at one of the nearby vineyards; Elephant Hill is a 10-minute drive away and does a mean seasonal tasting menu, enhanced by sea views and, of course, exquisite wine.
This central hotel is one of the most stylish stays in Havelock North; and the in-house restaurant, Malo, is on par with any of the renowned bars and eateries in town. Rooms come with views of the Ruahine Ranges – but it’s worth venturing out into the wild, with a hike up nearby Te Mata Peak. Your reward? 360-degree views of Hawke’s Bay, and perhaps a glass of wine or two at the local vineyards.
As well as the art deco architecture it’s known for, Napier is home to outstanding museums, galleries and street art – many of which are just moments from the Dome, a collection of flashy self-catered apartments overlooking Marine Parade. Browse the exhibitions on display at MTG Hawke’s Bay or SPA_CE Napier, scour the streets for Instagrammable murals, or simply admire the views from your roof terrace before taking a dip in the outdoor pool.
Looking for seclusion? This exclusive boutique hotel near Hastings is surrounded by vast swathes of farmland and has just two charming suites, meaning you’ll have a cosy lounge, outdoor pool and personal chef pretty much to yourselves. Amp up the indulgence with a helicopter tour of Hawke’s Bay, or play a round of golf with your host (and PGA pro) Gary at Cape Kidnappers, one of the most beautiful courses in the world.
There’s plenty to keep you busy at this chic modern farmhouse set high in the Cape Kidnappers hills – from shearing sheep and hiking the craggy cliffs to playing golf backdropped by glorious Pacific Ocean views. If that all sounds like too much hard work, you could simply splash in the infinity pool, or take a post-massage snooze in your plush sea-facing suite.
This 1890s home with six lavish rooms features modern luxuries – including a heated outdoor pool – but stays true to the Victorian era with a grand stained-glass entry, sash windows and clawfoot baths. The art deco architecture and cool cafes of Central Napier are a five-minute drive away – but save time for the neighbouring botanic gardens and a bird-spotting walk around the Ahuriri Estuary.
One of just two key buildings to survive the devastating 1930s Napier earthquake, the County Hotel dates back to 1909 and was originally the town council headquarters. Rooms are packed with old-fashioned charm – think wood-panelling, chintzy bedspreads and leather Chesterfield armchairs – and the library and champagne bar downstairs are a fine spot for a nightcap. Here for the art deco architecture? Swing by the Daily Telegraph and National Tobacco Company buildings to see the best examples in town.
Standing in the foothills of Te Mata Peak, the Craggy Range Luxury Vineyard Retreat, near Havelock North, is a gourmet’s dream getaway. The sumptuous one- and two-bedroom garden cottages feature freestanding wood burners, ensuite bathrooms and broad patios overlooking the vines, while the four-bedroom cottage has a private pool and river views. Here for the food? Forget calories – the restaurant menu includes the distance each fig and fillet of wild venison has travelled, with plenty of ingredients coming direct from the garden.
If art and design is your bag, book a stay at Millar Road – and bring your friends. The fabulous three-bedroom house (sleeping eight) and dual two-bedroom villas were designed by the renowned Slessor Architects, and the walls are full of striking local art. Take a dip in the outdoor pool, try a selection of skin-fermented “orange wines” from the Millar Road Estate, or drive south to Ocean Beach for a surf, swim or snooze on the sand.
Fancy discovering more plush hotels in Hastings? Check out our pick of the best boutique hotels in Hastings, New Zealand, bookable with Culture Trip
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.