As one of the main food-producing regions in New Zealand, it’s no surprise Hastings is home to some of the best wineries and restaurants in the country. And after all that vineyard-hopping and fine dining, where better to stay than a fancy boutique? Whether you want spa treatments, seclusion, sea views or gourmet cuisine, you’ll find it in our selection of the best boutique hotels in Hastings, all bookable with Culture Trip.
This revamped 19th-century homestead features 12 boutique rooms surrounded by landscaped gardens and orchards. Wellness-seekers can stretch out on the lawn at a morning yoga class, take a dip in the outdoor pool, or sweat it out in the sauna before a deep tissue massage. Here on a Sunday? Hop on one of the hotel bikes and ride to the farmer’s market, where you can sample some of the finest fruit in the region, artisan olive oil and French pastries.
Porters Boutique is one of the best hotels in Havelock North, thanks to the plush rooms with views of the Ruahine Ranges, and the smattering of top-notch cafes and restaurants on the doorstep. Malo, the hotel restaurant, is a favourite with local foodies – not least for the steak and cocktails (try the whisky-based apple pie for starters). Here for the wine? Swing by Te Mata Estate and Black Barn vineyards to sample their sauvignon blanc and merlot – both are just a five-minute drive away.
This cobalt-blue art deco home, situated in a small patch of woodland between Hastings and Napier, brings the cool factor with retro furniture and graphic wallpaper. The space is ideal for groups, but the three doubles and one twin room can also be rented privately (some have ensuite bathrooms; others share facilities). Rustle up a feast in the private barbecue area, or chill out in the hot tub or mini cinema with a cider from the Zeffer tap room next door.
These swanky self-contained apartments, named after the copper cupola atop the art deco building in which they sit, can sleep anything from two to 20 guests. Soak up sea views from your roof terrace, make a splash in the outdoor heated plunge pool, or take a walk along Tennyson Street to see some of the finest art deco architecture in the world. Hastings is a 20-minute drive south.
This heritage-listed art deco hotel, in the seaside village of Ahuriri, features simple self-contained studios and one- and two-bedroom suites, and commands fabulous views of Hawke Bay. Meander along the seaside boardwalk, picking up an ice cream en route, or head south to West Quay for chilli- and lime-glazed chicken wings and tiger prawns with wasabi aioli at the Gintrap – a fine reward for completing the nearby 4km (2.5mi) estuary loop.
Besides the heated outdoor pool, much of the allure of this home comes from opulent Victorian-era features. Many rooms feature clawfoot bathtubs and sash windows, all have polished hardwood floors and decorative cast-iron or carved wooden beds, and the broad veranda is made for evenings spent chatting over a bottle of Hawke Bay chardonnay. Don’t miss an afternoon combing the white sands of Waipatiki Beach – it’s a 35-minute drive north along the coast.
Food lovers, welcome to heaven. Your host and chef Malcom Redmond has spent decades tending to his organic kitchen garden – which you’re welcome to wander – and up to 90 percent of what you’ll eat is grown on site. Join a cooking lesson to find out more about local cuisine, or simply savour the five-course menu with wine pairings. Vine views from your room have you itching to explore? Head west along Roys Hill Road to discover some of the best wineries in the region.
This seafront hotel dates to the 1930s – when much of Napier was rebuilt after a devastating earthquake – and has 46 colourful, quirky rooms and an Irish pub. For an experience fit for a queen, book the royal suite – Queen Elizabeth II stayed in this very room during her 1953 coronation tour. Find out more about the history of the town on a guided tour run by the Art Deco Trust, just around the corner.
With just two elegant suites, views of rolling green farmland and super-friendly hosts, seclusion and personalised service come as standard at the Manse, an early-20th-century home perched on a hillside just west of Hastings. Host Gary has worked in fancy hotels and Michelin-starred restaurants around the world, so you’re guaranteed some good grub; don’t miss the truffle hunting tour at nearby Sacre Monte Truffles, followed by a three-course lunch devoted to your fungal finds.
Combining quintessentially Kiwi traditions with stress-melting surrounds, this luxury bolt hole invites you to make yourself at home. Want to shear sheep? Get to work. Prefer to lounge in the show-stopping hilltop infinity pool? Go for it. There’s also a championship golf course, a spa and the largest gannet colony in the world to visit. Pair all this with opulent “cottages” overlooking the Pacific Ocean, and only one problem will remain: the prospect of having to leave.
For some budget-friendly options, discover our guide on the top cheap hotels in Hastings and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.