With yoga fast becoming one of the trendiest contemporary cultural phenomenons, it comes as no surprise that mindfulness and meditation are following suit. From one-day wonder transformations to week-long retreats and 10-day silence programmes, here are the top five health and wellness retreats in Australia for mindfulness and meditation.
Billabong is a small and intimate family-run eco retreat based in Sydney, less than an hour drive from the city. With programmes specialising in yoga, mindfulness and meditation, guests can choose to channel the energy of their retreat as desired. The vision of Billabong is simple: to enable people to reconnect mind, body and spirit with nature. A spa offering relaxation massages and facials is just one of the many additional services available; other elements of note include organic wholefood meals, a swimming pool, serene woodland setting, treehouse suites, rustic lodges and charming cabins. Weekly and one-day retreats are available.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vispanna Centre Queensland
For a truly holistic meditation and mindfulness experience, Vispanna Centre Queensland is one of the best in the country. Set in the serene surroundings of Pomona, about two hours drive from Brisbane, this 10-day silent retreat challenges students to take their meditation to new heights. There are no costs for this retreat; instead the course, food and accommodation are supported by the donation of current and past students who feel the experience has benefited them, and want to share that experience with others. This is a much coveted course so apply months in advance for any of the courses, including 10-day, short courses and kids/teen retreats. Vispanna centres are also available in Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart, Victoria and Gold Coast.
Vipassana Centre Queensland. Pomona. Queensland. Australia. (07) 5485 2452
Gaia Retreat & Spa
Set on 25 acres of tranquil gardens, Gaia Retreat & Spa is a wellness retreat that celebrates the importance of mindfulness and meditation. Founded by Hollywood star and Australian actress/singer Olivia Newtown-John and partners in 2005, the retreat has won endless awards for its world-class spa and facilities. With the intent to refocus and re-balance, Gaia retreat packages are tailored specifically to each guest’s needs. Day activities include meditation, yoga, presentations on health and wellbeing and Qi Gong. Explore two, three, five or seven night packages as well as group experiences such as the mother-daughter retreats and honeymoon packages.
Only a stones throw from Sydney (1.5 hours by car to be exact) is Happy Buddha, a premium mid-week and weekend yoga retreat. Hidden in the lush bushland of the Blue Mountains, Happy Buddha boasts nature at its fullest; the perfect setting to reconnect mind, body and spirit to nature. Experience the untainted beauty of this land: spectacular waterfalls, inspiring viewpoints, nature hikes and trails. Although this is full yoga retreat, Happy Buddha encourages all levels of yogis to get involved. Nourish the body too with fresh, organic vegetarian meals throughout the weekend and sleep soundly at night in the on-site lodging, all but 10-minutes walk from Wentworth Falls train station, connecting guests with the city in less than two hours.
Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat
Located in Queensland, set across 200 hectares of unspoiled natural bushland and rainforest terrain is Gwinganna, a lifestyle retreat considered one of the best in the country. With an emphasis on wellness, mindfulness and meditation, Gwinganna programmes begin each day watching the sunrise whilst practicing the art of Qi Gong, a restorative moving meditation. Rest after a meditative day in one of three dedicated meditation suites; these orchard-lined rooms have been designed to encourage heightened levels of focus and mindfulness with soft colour palettes and serene outlooks. Gwinganna offers a range of retreat packages including weekend escapes and seven day detox packages, as well as tailored packages for those looking for a longer stay.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.