Autumn is the time for smoldering open fires and hot chocolate, but it’s also the time for crunching russet leaves and spectacular golden gardens. To make the most of these seasonal changes rug up and visit one of these scenic gardens and bear witness to Mother Nature’s ever-evolving floral canvas.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Alfred Nicholas Memorial Gardens
Named after Alfred Nicholas, the man who co-developed the Aspro painkiller, the gardens were established in 1933. Roving through the picturesque 13 acre estate you’ll discover moss coated ponds, charming bridges, sculptures, a rotunda and a mystic waterfall. The most photographed segment of the garden is the quaint boathouse and ornamental lake which reflects the vibrant foliage in autumn.
National Rhododendron Gardens
Internationally renowned the National Rhododendron Gardens are enveloped by colour all year round. Located in Olinda, the gardens boast over 15,000 rhododendrons, 12,000 azaleas, 3,000 camellias and 250,000 smiling daffodils. Deep fern gullies and cherry tree groves further the array of textures and shades that garnish these gardens.
From the perfumed Azalea Steps to the glorious Peony Pavilion, Cloudhill is a garden built on harmonious diversity. Located in the Dandenongs, the garden is set ablaze in autumn when the ornamental grasses erupt to amber and the Yokohama Maples blush crimson. Cloudhill is also distinguished by its hedges, meadows ornamental garden beds.
Maroondah Reservoir Park
Located in the Yarra Valley, Maroondah Reservoir Park, or Maroondah Dam as it’s sometimes referred to, is an English style garden featuring both native and exotic plants. Within the autumn months the Rose Stairway is most picturesque, while in the spring the azaleas and rhododendrons are at their most spectacular. The park is also home to native Australian wildlife including wallabies, wombats and echidnas.
Castlemaine Botanical Gardens
Designed by renowned botanist Baron Sir Ferdinand von Mueller, Castlemaine Botanical Gardens showcases an established collection of native and exotic trees, including an oak planted in 1867 by the Duke of Edinburgh which is listed by the National Trust. Integrated into the landscaped gardens is an ornamental lake which reflects the canary yellow foliage in autumn.
Building, Cinema, Museum, Park, Botanical Garden
Designed for the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880, the Carlton Gardens house the Melbourne Museum, IMAX Cinema and the Royal Exhibition Building. The 64 acre site features two ornamental lakes and three elaborate fountains including the French Fountain and Hochgurtel Fountain as well as flowerbeds, Moreton Bay fig trees, palms and avenues lined with elms.
Wombat Hill Botanical Gardens
Sitting on site of an extinct volcano, Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens offers panoramic views of Daylesford. Brimming with 19th-century character, the gardens features sweeping open lawns shaded by mammoth conifers and elms making it one of Victoria’s most beautiful regional gardens.
Built in 1929, Lake Daylesford is an idyllic place to unwind. Mature trees border the path which encircles the lake and throughout the autumn the trees dazzle with amber and ruby shades. Perched on the banks is the luxurious Lake House which offers tranquil views over the lake. For the best views of the lake stroll to jetty and keep a watchful eye for the areas abundant bird life.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.