Chinese New Year is the biggest festival in China but you don’t have to travel east for an authentic experience of occasion. Chinese heritage is an integral part of Melbourne’s history. The 1850’s gold rush attracted Chinese immigration to Victoria on a large scale. Those that did not return to China established communities and made some of the earliest investments in business and culture for what is today the world’s most liveable city. It’s no wonder that when Chinese New Year rolls around, Melbourne is the place to be.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Throughout the week’s long celebration in Melbourne you’re sure to encounter larger than life lions and dragons that dance in the city streets. You’ll witness non-stop dazzle; lights will string from building to building, illuminating Melbourne’s finest landmarks. There will be feasting and firecrackers, spectacle and participation, parades, parties and plenty of activity for everyone to enjoy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Watch the clock and commence the celebrations at Federation Square. On the 7th of February, you can watch a televised broadcasting of China CCTV’s national New Year’s Eve gala program ‘Chun Wan.’ There’s an awesome sense of community, as millions of people from Melbourne to the Mainland gather in honor of the season. As a hub of festivities, there will be various live events at Fed Square, not only for opening ceremonies but throughout the following weeks.
Located along Little Bourke Street and the alleys that link the area to Bourke Street and Lonsdale Street, Melbourne’s Chinatown should be at the top of any itinerary. It is the longest continuous Chinese settlement in the western world and is the centerpiece of New Year merriments.
The big day to explore Chinatown is the 14th of February, from 10am – 10pm with the Dragon’s Awakening Ceremony parading down Little Bourke Street. Whenever you visit, be sure to make the Chinese Museum a priority. Its five floors include a Chinatown Visitor Centre, an exhibition gallery and Dragon Gallery displaying three generations of Chinese dragons. The Finding Gold experience is wonderful for those seeking stories about Chinese Australian history and for viewing precious artefacts from all parts of the Asia Pacific region.
Nestlé’s Gold Standard
Melbourne recently welcomed Nestlé’s Kit Kat Studio to its neighbourhood. In exciting news for chocolate lovers, the company has cooked an exclusive batch of 24k gold Kit Kat bars, in honour of the Chinese New Year. Only 88 bars were made to sell for $88 – if you can get your hands on one! Not only do these gilded Kit Kats contain exotic ingredients like rose petals, Oolong tea leaves and lychee, their limited quantity and price tag are symbolic of good fortune. In Chinese culture, the number 8 is extremely lucky.
Queen Victoria Market
If you like to “taste your way around” food stalls and free activities, visit the Queen Victoria Market. During New Year celebrations, the iconic marketplace is extra special for first time visitors. On 19 February, sign up for a $25 guided tour through the specialty stalls, where you’ll have the chance to meet the traders and producers, learn local Chinese history and gain exclusive insights about Melbourne’s favorite market.
Food Truck Fuel
Docklands is another worthy culinary adventure during Chinese New Year. Along the waterfront, you can banish your hunger at The Food Truck Park where the best of Melbourne’s food trucks will be parked on the 19th, 20th and 27th of February. The options here reflect the multicultural spirit of the New Year. Try a pork belly sandwich from the White Guy Cooks Thai Truck or one of the city’s most loved burgers from the aptly named Mr. Burger Food Truck. Docklands hosts many of Melbourne’s major events, and for Chinese New Year, this is where the sky is brightest. Enjoy magical fireworks and take a ride on the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel, which is a must for any first time visitor.
The Place to Be
With 80,000 people expected at any one event, getting around Melbourne may be difficult. Some roads will be closed. Visitors are encouraged to ditch their cars and make their way around by using public transport.
Accommodations are abundant in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD, but aren’t always convenient or affordable. The Victoria Hotel offers close proximity to Fed Square and Chinatown and is among one of Australia’s first hotels to be endorsed for its services by the Australia China Business Council for their services and facilities that cater to Chinese speaking guests. As one of the oldest (and most charming) buildings, it is very affordable for a wide range budgets.
The New Year is based on the Chinese lunisolar calendar, and it’s all about starting over. Alternatives to the festivities in Melbourne include cleaning the house and paying bills, as the Chinese believe it very inauspicious to start the New Year owing money. So, in other words, if you must steer clear of the Melbourne madness during Chinese New Year, there are at least some productive ways honour its rich tradition.
By Courtney Capellan
Courtney is a freelance writer. She holds a degree in foreign policy and international relations and you can follow her on Twitter @courtcapellan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.