Waking up early is hard, but it gets a little easier with the promise of a breathtaking sunrise, so set your alarm and race out of bed to see the most magnificent views of Melbourne and beyond. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
The Twelve Apostles
The most spectacular point on Victoria’s coastline, the Twelve Apostles attracts 1.2 million visitors annually – many of whom choose to visit the site at dusk or dawn. Located on the scenic Great Ocean Road, four hours from Melbourne, the Twelve Apostles is a group of limestone stacks formed by erosion over millions of years. Today, there are only eight towers left standing. The lookout and walkways are open 365 days a year, and depending on the time of day you visit, a new scene awaits. Arrive before dawn and watch as the windswept coast is bathed in pastel light, before making your way down Gibson’s Steps to see the penguins scatter into the ocean.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Booringa Road and Great Ocean Road in Princetown VIC, Australia, +61 1300 137 255
Tourists are drawn to Brighton’s Dendy Street Beach to see the brightly painted bathing boxes which date back to 1881, but at dawn, Mother Nature reveals an even more dazzling palette. Fiery orange and vivid corals and lilacs light up the sky and reflect off the waves. As the sun rises, the 82 beach boxes – worth a staggering $200,000 each – are revealed, as is Melbourne’s skyline. Take a few snaps, before diving into the water for a cool and refreshing morning dip.
Shrine of Remembrance
Although the Shrine of Remembrance doesn’t open until 10 a.m., watching the sun rise over the building is a moving reminder of the men and women who served in wars and other conflicts. Opened in 1934, the Shrine of Remembrance was built to honour Victorians who served during World War I, and inside, there are over 800 artefacts dating back to the 1850s. Take in the monumental site at sunrise, before turning back towards Kings Domain as the first light touches the city, or join thousands of other Australians each year on ANZAC Day when the site hosts the annual Dawn Service.
Shrine of Remembrance, Birdwood Ave, Melbourne VIC, Australia, +61 03 9661 8100
Built between 1912 and 1915, Princes Pier is a 580-metre-long historic pier stretching out into Port Phillip Bay. In 1990, the timber was found to be in poor condition, so in 2006, the first 196 metres were restored, while the remaining pylons were preserved, creating a haunting, derelict view of Melbourne’s past. Attracting photographers, Princes Pier provides a dramatic view of the water as the sun rises over Port Phillip Bay.
Albert Park Lake
Located only three kilometres from the city, fitness fanatics at Albert Park Lake are often treated to superb sunrises. Albert Park includes sporting facilities, a gymnasium, an aquatic centre and a golf course, and the lake is popular for water sports such as rowing. Albert Park also holds the Australian Grand Prix in March. Also popular with dog owners and joggers, the walking track, which circles the lake, is lined with palm trees, and at dawn, early risers can see the sky tinted with a pink haze.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.